Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys know more about shipping than I do but I dont see a way for me to ship usps priority that cheap.

A flat rate padded envelope is 8.55 but the cover won't fit and its not safe to send it without a box.... so one will fit in a medium box maybe but again the incentive is there to buy more than one.

Either way...won't matter soon. When version 2 is out I think it'll just end up at 100 each free ship bin. Ill pull the samples off ebay as soon as version 2 is out.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oh, one other thing. pricing these is a bit of a toughy for me. I've thought about this for a long time and tried to come up with a good pricing structure.
far as I can tell, NOS eliminators go for 600?? on ebay. at this point these are now novelty and collectors items rather than useful pieces. a beat up oem high top is $100 easy on ebay. my tops are easily stronger, not to mention made in usa. they'll be available in different colors, and the designer is always available for feedback ;) so i'll eliminate (no pun intended) the extra shipping charge and just put this version on ebay for $100 each bin free ship. seems super reasonable to me and i'll try to figure out how to optimize shipping.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oh, one other thing. pricing these is a bit of a toughy for me. I've thought about this for a long time and tried to come up with a good pricing structure.
far as I can tell, NOS eliminators go for 600?? on ebay. at this point these are now novelty and collectors items rather than useful pieces. a beat up oem high top is $100 easy on ebay. my tops are easily stronger, not to mention made in usa. they'll be available in different colors, and the designer is always available for feedback ;) so i'll eliminate (no pun intended) the extra shipping charge and just put this version on ebay for $100 each bin free ship. seems super reasonable to me and i'll try to figure out how to optimize shipping.
Last year I asked what's his face manny?
Fatmertec guy on facebook about 288 saws and he said they are working on 288 kits and saws
Who knows but
If they're ever released that's possibly another market for you.
They stupidly put 61 topcovers on the
Odd 61/272 saw they just released.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah, i was curious about that as well. the odds of them doing a high top for 288 was low, so thats why I figured i'd go for it.

266/272 etc is on the list next, but since i've literally blown the whole wad on the 288s... until I make my money back its not happening. :( thats the reality of things.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last year I asked what's his face manny?
Fatmertec guy on facebook about 288 saws and he said they are working on 288 kits and saws
Who knows but
If they're ever released that's possibly another market for you.
They stupidly put 61 topcovers on the
Odd 61/272 saw they just released.

just looked at their 272... why did they do the 61 cover?? thats odd. ok, yeah seems to me like a 266/272 whatever eliminator style top would be nice. gotta look into the models and see what would be best config and go from there. just need to sell a few bajillion 288 tops and i'll be back to flush lol

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t mind a Hi-Top cover for my Riff-Raff Collective, ported 288XP Lite from yrs ago, which is still minty...the way I decided to keep it.

I’m just afraid after all this ‘talk’ about life-savings, etc, etc...and then some more etc, etc...is this ‘version 2’ gonna end up somewhere around ‘six easy payments of $39.95’ or what?

I’d like to have one if I ever decide to move this ported 288XP Lite down the road, it would certainly add to the attractiveness of the deal to offer the low-top on it now, and hi-top.

Just busting’ balls...but hype talk is what hype talk is...make no bones about that.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I said... I think version 2 is gonna be 100 bux bin on ebay. Im just one guy... im not a big company that can toss money around at multiple projects. Worse...this project is big enough that even the big companies didn't wanna deal with it. So if it flys...then more cool things fly and everything else builds on the previous project. If not....then its just me thats broke lol. Im kinda doing this like crowdfunding but in reverse.

I dont think the price is gonna balloon too much because it truly is only worth so much.

Another possibility is that I end up as a wholesaler and send to distributors such as the Duke or hl or dd...or whoever.

Im new at this...be gentle with my nuts

Note....just changed sample to 90 bux bin free ship. Does that help?

Last edited:

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys know more about shipping than I do but I dont see a way for me to ship usps priority that cheap.

A flat rate padded envelope is 8.55 but the cover won't fit and its not safe to send it without a box.... so one will fit in a medium box maybe but again the incentive is there to buy more than one.

Either way...won't matter soon. When version 2 is out I think it'll just end up at 100 each free ship bin. Ill pull the samples off ebay as soon as version 2 is out.

Quit using the Flat Rate gig. The boxes are a crappy size so you can pretty much never fit anything useful in them and save on postage.

Go to scaled weight and you'll save.

Bet when the $22 is on you (with "FREE" shipping" instead of the customer you'll find how simple it is to save $12-14 per unit on shipping.

When you're ready just sign up to Stamps.com and buy some packaging supplies. Give me a call when you get closer and I could teach you how to streamline. Frankly the time it takes to get stuff packaged, etc is likely a result of you not being streamlined.

I ship OEM top covers all the time in bubble mailers, no problems reported whatsoever. Also, you've mentioned how much tougher your covers are. You could always pack in cardboard too.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not streamlined is the word.

I'll get v2 in my hands and give ya a shout. Tx.

Chriso434

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Managed to get my hands on a few Mttyo Specials all the way down under in Aus. I realize these are samples, but dammm they look the goods!

Looking forward to putting it on a saw sometime very soon!!!

Also for those wondering I used a forwarding company to get them from the states to aus.

Attachments

• BC3D84BB-49C2-4BB6-8680-9E848310C973.jpeg
    BC3D84BB-49C2-4BB6-8680-9E848310C973.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 39

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quit using the Flat Rate gig. The boxes are a crappy size so you can pretty much never fit anything useful in them and save on postage.

Go to scaled weight and you'll save.

Bet when the $22 is on you (with "FREE" shipping" instead of the customer you'll find how simple it is to save $12-14 per unit on shipping.

When you're ready just sign up to Stamps.com and buy some packaging supplies. Give me a call when you get closer and I could teach you how to streamline. Frankly the time it takes to get stuff packaged, etc is likely a result of you not being streamlined.

I ship OEM top covers all the time in bubble mailers, no problems reported whatsoever. Also, you've mentioned how much tougher your covers are. You could always pack in cardboard too.
I wood never ship a top cover in bubble wrap. But that’s just my opinion after seeing what the good ol drop kick priority has done to boxes I’ve received saws and saw parts in I guess. Last time they chipped a fin off a nice 262 cylinder. Maybe they gave improved there shipping and handling department since then?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These tops are tough for sure. I demonstrated how I hit them with a hammer. They still break but only if you hit them in just the right spot. Kinda crazy.

Still they will go in cardboard....preferably with some packing material around em. One already made it to Aus! Enjoy @Chriso434

I'll be calling the Duke though to get other idea on how to optimize shipping overall.

Chriso434

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
These tops are tough for sure. I demonstrated how I hit them with a hammer. They still break but only if you hit them in just the right spot. Kinda crazy.

Still they will go in cardboard....preferably with some packing material around em. One already made it to Aus! Enjoy @Chriso434

I'll be calling the Duke though to get other idea on how to optimize shipping overall.
Matt I seen you hit them when you were live! I initially cringed thinking oh no!!! But was bloody impressed when that ball peen bounced right off!

Thanks again Matt, very happy customer here!

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Matt, what about using FedEx Express?

We have a deal at work where we’re set up as a volume shipper, and we pay $9.50-$12.95 for a bubble pack shipped 2 day air anywhere in the US. We get great rates on any of the FedEx Express packs and boxes.
That cuts down on handling quite a lot, since Express has their own network, and never gets mixed in with the gorillas doing ground. Plus, Express only does small stuff, so there’s little risk it’ll get smashed by a big heavy box too.

We are by no means a volume shipper, and I’m sure you ship way more than we do already.
All you have to do is get a FedEx rep to set it up for you. I’m happy to give you our reps phone number. I’m sure he can set you up, or find you the proper people, since we’re in the same area.

If those top covers are as tough as people say, I have no doubt they’ll survive a 2 day Express shipment in a bubble pack.
Duke says he’s never had any issues either, which just confirms they’ll do fine.
The money you save, time, and ease of mind, will likely cover any costs you’d incur if one broke.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wood never ship a top cover in bubble wrap. But that’s just my opinion after seeing what the good ol drop kick priority has done to boxes I’ve received saws and saw parts in I guess. Last time they chipped a fin off a nice 262 cylinder. Maybe they gave improved there shipping and handling department since then?

Matt, what about using FedEx Express?

We have a deal at work where we’re set up as a volume shipper, and we pay $9.50-$12.95 for a bubble pack shipped 2 day air anywhere in the US. We get great rates on any of the FedEx Express packs and boxes.
That cuts down on handling quite a lot, since Express has their own network, and never gets mixed in with the gorillas doing ground. Plus, Express only does small stuff, so there’s little risk it’ll get smashed by a big heavy box too.

We are by no means a volume shipper, and I’m sure you ship way more than we do already.
All you have to do is get a FedEx rep to set it up for you. I’m happy to give you our reps phone number. I’m sure he can set you up, or find you the proper people, since we’re in the same area.

If those top covers are as tough as people say, I have no doubt they’ll survive a 2 day Express shipment in a bubble pack.
Duke says he’s never had any issues either, which just confirms they’ll do fine.
The money you save, time, and ease of mind, will likely cover any costs you’d incur if one broke.

No shipping method is foolproof, that's for sure.

But the time savings on bubble mailers is significant. You could even double them up.

Maybe have 1 of 500 packages get damaged. If you're hitting them with hammers and they are holding up I'm sure you'll be fine.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are looking at doing 162 chassis covers, there already is aftermarket that bolts onto the later 61, and 268/272 single coil saws.
Make the 266 style covers for the dual coil chassis and I think that would be your best market.
They won't be exact for early 61's and 162's, but they will bolt on, and a late 266 cover will clear a 272 cylinder swap nicely. There is currently nothing but good used available for the dual coil saws unless you want to drill and tap for a single coil cover.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a 266 on the bench for this purpose :)

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect; I was going to offer if you needed one, I mean I might have a few....
93dce7bae33be307e018b7d821dcc93a.jpg

I haven't counted how many crankcases I have, but if I build saws out of them all I will need another dozen covers at least... LoL

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as I get these 288 covers rolling...thats next on the list.