562 base gasket delete, squish?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife got me a 562 for my up coming birthday, ordered yesterday, and I've been looking around for info on doing a base gasket delete. I've seen all kinds of squish numbers posted after they did the delete, from 0-.019, is there that much variance in the top ends from different years? I had one this past summer and wasn't to happy with the lack of torque and I'm thinking that I'll do something with this one.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife got me a 562 for my up coming birthday, ordered yesterday, and I've been looking around for info on doing a base gasket delete. I've seen all kinds of squish numbers posted after they did the delete, from 0-.019, is there that much variance in the top ends from different years? I had one this past summer and wasn't to happy with the lack of torque and I'm thinking that I'll do something with this one.
Most of the errant squish readings are probably from the cylinder not sitting down tight on some. There are about 5 spots that need clearanced after the cylinder is lowered from machine work

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the errant squish readings are probably from the cylinder not sitting down tight on some. There are about 5 spots that need clearanced after the cylinder is lowered from machine work
Thanks for clearing that up, I'll make sure mine sets flat on the case.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pulled the cylinder and thought I'd post my squish numbers in case anyone else is wondering, without the base gasket I got .010 and the base gasket is .029.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is that the squish is tightest near the chamber and looser by the cylinder edge on the 562.

You can add a step flashing .010 gasket and be done. You can’t sand the squish cause it’s plated.

PITA of a saw. They do run well (when they actually do) though.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is that the squish is tightest near the chamber and looser by the cylinder edge on the 562.

You can add a step flashing .010 gasket and be done. You can’t sand the squish cause it’s plated.

I didn't realize the band was plated, glad I didn't attempt to cut it.

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sure do love the info that comes from this place. Even when not looking for it I find it and apply it later on. Thank you guys

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

On this cylinder, the squish is tighter on the edge and increases as it gets closer to the chamber, others may be different.

thumbnail_KIMG1811.jpg thumbnail_KIMG1809 (1).jpg thumbnail_KIMG1810.jpg

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The left front of the case needs some and possibly the right front. But most of it is where is the divider sets down between the carb and engine
I think I see where you was talking about, the flywheel side screw is just touching and on the clutch side, it looks close, I'll take some off anyway, but not touching, this is with .028 off the base. I'll also take some off between the carb an cylinder. Thanks for the info.

Just want to add that I took .080 off the cylinder flange.

thumbnail_KIMG1818.jpg thumbnail_KIMG1812.jpg

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pics of where I had to take some off so the cylinder would set flat. I also had to elongate the muffler support holes.

thumbnail_KIMG1822.jpg thumbnail_KIMG1821.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG1828.jpg thumbnail_KIMG1822.jpg thumbnail_KIMG1821.jpg

Last edited: