High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

3D Printed 288xp Intake

mutti_wilson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My 288 had the optional Twin Air filter setup on it which was cool except for the fact that it was completely deteriorated. Since finding one of those filters was near impossible I started looking for some options. I found a filter that seemed to be close enough to fitting so I bought it and it was on the large side but I made it work. The biggest issue was the neck of the filter was too large to seal up the the OEM intake. I managed to make it work by using the thick foam tape but it never instilled confidence in me.

My friend recently bought a 3d printer and has been playing around with it and is eager to put it through it's paces so I thought why don't I model up a intake to my specs? I spent a couple nights with calipers and my trusty Sketchup and got it all modeled up. I had to install some software to make sure the print would turn out and had some errors to correct but I ended up with a printable file and he printed it up. He used PETG which is a little less sturdy than ABS but for an intake should be just fine. I had to do some hand sanding to smooth some areas but overall it turned out great. It bolted right up and the filter fit nice and tight. Now I'm looking for 3d printers to make whatever I want. The technology we can have in our garages that would have once been considered a pipe dream a decade or 2 ago is amazing.

Filter https://goo.gl/PJD8RW

IMG_20190107_211452.jpg IMG_20190107_211517.jpg IMG_20190107_211532.jpg IMG_20190107_213940.jpg IMG_20190107_213956.jpg

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My nephew had a 3D printer for sale a few months ago. If interested I could check and see I think the price tag was in the $2500 range?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 288 had the optional Twin Air filter setup on it which was cool except for the fact that it was completely deteriorated. Since finding one of those filters was near impossible I started looking for some options. I found a filter that seemed to be close enough to fitting so I bought it and it was on the large side but I made it work. The biggest issue was the neck of the filter was too large to seal up the the OEM intake. I managed to make it work by using the thick foam tape but it never instilled confidence in me.

My friend recently bought a 3d printer and has been playing around with it and is eager to put it through it's paces so I thought why don't I model up a intake to my specs? I spent a couple nights with calipers and my trusty Sketchup and got it all modeled up. I had to install some software to make sure the print would turn out and had some errors to correct but I ended up with a printable file and he printed it up. He used PETG which is a little less sturdy than ABS but for an intake should be just fine. I had to do some hand sanding to smooth some areas but overall it turned out great. It bolted right up and the filter fit nice and tight. Now I'm looking for 3d printers to make whatever I want. The technology we can have in our garages that would have once been considered a pipe dream a decade or 2 ago is amazing.

Filter https://goo.gl/PJD8RW

View attachment 158452 View attachment 158453 View attachment 158454 View attachment 158455 View attachment 158456
That’s badass. Thanks for sharing! Anyone looking to swap over to high top on their 288 could be helped a lot by using a printed elbow. All the high top parts are tough to find and aren’t always sold as a package. If your friend is willing, see if he can print a few of the normal sized ones. Might be an easy seller on here.

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice looking intake!

Did you end up pressing in sleeves for the carb bolt areas? or did you leave that as PETG?

I have made several 3D printed intakes for various saws. Cool to see another person doing the same things. Pretty cool stuff!

-Nick

mutti_wilson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The flocked 288 HD filters are still available and work fine. They fit on the same intake as the Twin Air setup.

They do, but what's the fun in spending 4x the price and not having to spend hours making something? I like an oiled foam filter too.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Intoxsawcated

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With a 3D printer we could make BadAzz ( Experimental ) Modular saws. Any sized reliable engine with whatever size tanks and antivibes bolted to it Or ya know, make two piece low med. and hightops for 288s. An ultra compact 80+ cc saw would be fun as well for a 'farm saw' or weekender funnsaw.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a pretty cool intake, but in my experience - the hard to come by part is the high-top cover. There's a few different options for intakes already, including using a stack adapter
on the stock low-profile filter elbow.

Chriso434

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool intake, but in my experience - the hard to come by part is the high-top cover. There's a few different options for intakes already, including using a stack adapter
on the stock low-profile filter elbow.

That’s a really good idea! Never thought of that, I’m on the look out for a high top elbow as I have a saw that has the cover but not the hi top filter...

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How well does petg hold up to the gasoline? Last time I read it was pretty chemical resistant but gas would soften the outside layer. My fear would be some slime making its way to the motor.

Last edited:

mutti_wilson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't see any deterioration. I figure that the small amount of fuel that may end up there will be dried off by airflow quickly. I wouldn't use it on the wet side of the carb but for air I don't have any qualms.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure but I think I heard @mortalitool has 3D printed a couple blue top 288/281 air filter adapters. If thats true then that would be an easy way to have a tall K&N filter for a high top set-up. The adapter screws to a low top elbow and is a bit of a v-stack also. K&N still makes the filters that fit that adapter. I can get pictures of what I'm talkin about if anyone wants me to post them.