High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

371 Husky Help

HuskyHill

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 371 that seems to have little compression and does not want to start. I am no mechanic but pulled the muffler and this is what the piston looks like. Your thoughts on what I should do next would be appreciated. Thanks!

371 Piston1.jpg 371 Piston2.jpg

HuskyHill

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply but I lost you at MM Method. I am not a saw mechanic so be gentle. The saw has been sitting for over a year and since I have some time, I decided to tear into it and see if I could bring it back to life. So whats the MM method? Thanks!

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mastermind. It is a sticky on top of the first page of this forum. It tells you how to clean aluminum transfer from your cylinder without using acid.

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your piston is ruined and maybe your cylinder.Piston and ring will need to be replaced along with piston bearing. Cylinder needs to be pulled off inspected and cleaned up as it was mentioned, try the Mastermind cleaning method. If there is no deep scoring in the cylinder, it can be reused.
Most important, after installing new piston and/or cylinder find the reason why it burned and repair BEFORE running saw.As someone mentioned, do a vacuum / pressure test.
Hope this helps

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pulled a 353 apart that looked worse than that through the exhaust and the cylinder cleaned up fine. It will probably be OK with a little TLC. More than likely the PTO side seal is leaking. I did a complete overhaul on one of these a couple weeks ago so like I said just let me know if you want help.

HuskyHill

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just pulled a 353 apart that looked worse than that through the exhaust and the cylinder cleaned up fine. It will probably be OK with a little TLC. More than likely the PTO side seal is leaking. I did a complete overhaul on one of these a couple weeks ago so like I said just let me know if you want help.

Thanks for the info Beaglebriar, I am on the other end of pa (west of 219) so not close to you. A year or so ago the 371 wanted to shut off when you went to idle but still ran fine other than that so I took it to someone (mistake) to go over it and check it out and it ended up with no compression so not real sure what they might have done to it to mess it up this bad. Nuff said about that. It was my spare saw at the time but now I have some time to monkey with it but not sure I am up for the challenge since I have never done anything like this before. Any ruff guess idea what I might have in this to get it back to life? It has just been sitting around so I am game to try. Thanks!