huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried 13/64 on Oregon chain and didn't see any significant difference in ease of sharpening, cutting speed or edge longevity. I should note that I am not a 'great' filer nor do I make my living from my saws. Pferd has 13/64.
You’re likely looking at the cutter and shaping it how you want, as opposed to putting the file in one spot at the proper height and taking several swipes (like when using a guide).

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re likely looking at the cutter and shaping it how you want, as opposed to putting the file in one spot at the proper height and taking several swipes (like when using a guide).

Could be why I don't like most machine grinds (filing afterwards)? Have a couple different guides, don't get used much. Have never chased absolute speed when sharpening. Only looking for nice chips and self feeding. My top angle is less steep than a factory grind but within a few degrees.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be why I don't like most machine grinds (filing afterwards)? Have a couple different guides, don't get used much. Have never chased absolute speed when sharpening. Only looking for nice chips and self feeding. My top angle is less steep than a factory grind but within a few degrees.
There’s definitely a trade-off between speed and durability. Like yourself, I prefer somewhere in the middle, as long as it self feeds.