Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,
Has anyone sharpened semi-chisel using there square grinder? Is it possible?

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just saw a post earlier of semichisel that had been squared but can't remember where.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Before PS PS3 was out I hand filed semi chisel to square or least say sort of square. :p

Was just looking for something faster to use on top handle saws 40cc under for gtg racing class.
Just doing this knocked (if memory is right) about 6 seconds off compared to the stock semi chisel chain.

IMO no reason to even do this with the PS PS3 being offered now.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It works supprisingly well! The chain will look pretty forked up as the semi chisel has a curved rounded leading corner opposed to a chisel corner that's solid to the tip. I hand filed some semi chisel lo pro, it will look weird but it cuts great! My phone won't give a clear enough pic to show the cutter in detail but do a loop and put it in wood and see for yourself.

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before PS PS3 was out I hand filed semi chisel to square or least say sort of square. :p

Was just looking for something faster to use on top handle saws 40cc under for gtg racing class.
Just doing this knocked (if memory is right) about 6 seconds off compared to the stock semi chisel chain.

IMO no reason to even do this with the PS PS3 being offered now.
Why not on the ps offered today? Isn't it full chisel?

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And how about Oregon 91vxl, it's full chisel, but to me is little to grabby making it jump. What are y'all doing to tone it down some.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make the inner top plate angle less aggressive. ie instead of 50°-60° change to 65°-75°. I often tone down lo pro chain for pole saws where I want smoothness and no chatter which is hard on sprockets and cutting. A chain jumping up & down on a branch is not fast no matter how 'fast' the angles are ground. You square ground any semi yet?

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You absolutely correct, my pole saw jumps up and done bad, I started useing a less aggressive chain on it. So now it cut smoother and faster.
I haven't square ground any semi yet, but wanna try.
I have some semi chain that I wanna make more aggressive if possible.
Next year, with y'all help. I wanna have some of my work chains at Randy's.

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think we can make semi cut faster and still last. People has told me on my round ground chain, hey that won't cut good. Then they come back with a dang bucket of chains for me to grind. It's amazing on how many people not acceptable to change. I'm always trying different things. But still haven't found that perfect angle yet.

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make the inner top plate angle less aggressive. ie instead of 50°-60° change to 65°-75°. I often tone down lo pro chain for pole saws where I want smoothness and no chatter which is hard on sprockets and cutting. A chain jumping up & down on a branch is not fast no matter how 'fast' the angles are ground. You square ground any semi yet?
I'm gonna try the 65-75 degree. Thank you

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your correct, I originally meant, using the square grinder for grinding semi. Not squaring semi, but that lead to the discussion of squaring semi.
I've never done either, but will try and see. Never know