Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Motor is fine, no signs of a cracked block and since a K&N style intake is my only planned performance mod I think it'll last just fine. I'm really not too terribly concerned, just noticed that when I was looking over my precious.
Something to note: The K&N (I’m a big fan of K&N with performance gasoline engines) has proven more air flow and higher boost and more power with all engines. Cummins did an in-house test with them and found that they allow more particulates through, and the test engine showed piston ring wear much sooner than expected. Cummins still recommends the FleetGard air filter for the most protection against dirt ingestion.

In my pickup with the Cummins, I run a paper element filter. I had installed a K&N when I first bought the truck and shortly after I found the article with the information from Cummins (I think it was in Turbo Diesel Register archives) and it changed my mind about it. I swapped back. Just something to consider if you’re looking for engine longevity VS a high power toy.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something to note: The K&N (I’m a big fan of K&N with performance gasoline engines) has proven more air flow and higher boost and more power with all engines. Cummins did an in-house test with them and found that they allow more particulates through, and the test engine showed piston ring wear much sooner than expected. Cummins still recommends the FleetGard air filter for the most protection against dirt ingestion.

In my pickup with the Cummins, I run a paper element filter. I had installed a K&N when I first bought the truck and shortly after I found the article with the information from Cummins (I think it was in Turbo Diesel Register archives) and it changed my mind about it. I swapped back. Just something to consider if you’re looking for engine longevity VS a high power toy.
I'm planning on finding a different filter brand (AFE maybe), but for the intake horn I'll have a K&N style instead of the Dodge accordion. Since it's gonna be a complete custom anyways I might try and get a neighbor's 3rd gen AFE intake and try and modify it to fit my needs.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm planning on finding a different filter brand (AFE maybe), but for the intake horn I'll have a K&N style instead of the Dodge accordion. Since it's gonna be a complete custom anyways I might try and get a neighbor's 3rd gen AFE intake and try and modify it to fit my needs.
Make sure you get pics of the build 👍🏻

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have an AFE setup on my 3rd Gen. My only complaint is the filters are expensive. Some people say they want a filter housing with a window, but mine looks clean even when it’s dirty, so it might not help.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t decide which one I like better

View attachment 417155View attachment 417156

I'd be willing to wager both of these guys are in the "what's a grease gun"? Crowd.
I had over 200,000 on oem tie rods on my 06, and there's 180,000 on my 12. And they get grease every 3,000.
Most of those guys who are into pulling only seem to think about traction bars and garbage can exhaust and forget maintenance stuff it seems.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be willing to wager both of these guys are in the "what's a grease gun"? Crowd.
I had over 200,000 on oem tie rods on my 06, and there's 180,000 on my 12. And they get grease every 3,000.
Most of those guys who are into pulling only seem to think about traction bars and garbage can exhaust and forget maintenance stuff it seems.

The joints don’t blow out…the arms fold up unless you sleeve them or put ballistic ones or whatever on them. Then you still blow up CVs, rack and pinion, and stuff.

Chevys ride and drive better (my brother had some duramaxes) but they don’t tolerate big tires and/or abuse as well as a solid axle.

It’s a shame Chevy took mom’s burb, changed the body to a box, and tried to call it a humvee

Then you see the commercials of them beating the wee out of their trucks, and it’s like uh….

I’d sport a Chevy if it was normal stock use only. For what I do or want to, I’d probably be best off in a V10 super duty if mpg didn’t matter. Or a dodge power wagon (all the off road goodies). They actually give me a little buyer’s regret with my ‘11. It doesn’t get that good of mileage.