trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks man. That dern 357 has a way of surprising and/or impressing me when I get it out. My MOFO 262 is strong as all hell and I didn’t expect the 357 to be that close to it, .41 seconds in small wood, .78 in full bar cut. I’d wager proper machine work to the 357 would bring it to dead even with the 262. Is speed everything? Of course not, and the 262 still feels like it has more grunt when you abuse it. That thing just eats.

It’s days like this that make me again wonder why there isn’t a bigger fan club for 357’s. Big punch in a small package.

I dont know, I think my MOFO 262 runs better a little bit fatter for some reason. 13.5 and you can lean hard on it and it wont skip a beat. But then again it aint even broke in. Alot might change. Cleans up in the wood nice too. But that 357 sure did surprise me. Nice little saws they are. I bet you're right about your assumption

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont know, I think my MOFO 262 runs better a little bit fatter for some reason. 13.5 and you can lean hard on it and it wont skip a beat. But then again it aint even broke in. Alot might change. Cleans up in the wood nice too. But that 357 sure did surprise me. Nice little saws they are. I bet you're right about your assumption
Tough to say for sure. My 262 is broken in, I have 15 tanks through it now. A lot will change as yours breaks in...trust me:). Sombitch runs STRONG.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Even stock they like being on the rich side.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really enjoyed this comparison. Thanks so much.
When Al did your 262 did he do full Monty with bridge/fingers or just cut the squish and base and work the intake/exhaust?

The early 262s had a slightly smaller combustion chaber and different transfer ports than later 262s.
Also same is true of the early 254s - smaller combustion chamber. Other things changed too like ignition coils and carbs on those 2-series and that plays into differences in saws too.(And yours has the rarer 87 carb that plays well with a ported saw.)
Also worth noting that in this case the 262 and 357 were ported while the 254 was more stock, but I thought the 254 did well!

Although it's easy to quantify speed, I think the 254 probably weighs the least by a couple grams, the 357 and 262 are probably pretty close in weight, no? The 254 prob had the most vibs with rubber AV, the 262 slightly better with early semi-spring mount and the 357 probably felt best in low vib spring AV.

The 372xpw (75cc) is just in another league. But if you come to the CT GTG this year I hope you'll bring all these saws.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really enjoyed this comparison. Thanks so much.
When Al did your 262 did he do full Monty with bridge/fingers or just cut the squish and base and work the intake/exhaust?

The early 262s had a slightly smaller combustion chaber and different transfer ports than later 262s.
Also same is true of the early 254s - smaller combustion chamber. Other things changed too like ignition coils and carbs on those 2-series and that plays into differences in saws too.(And yours has the rarer 87 carb that plays well with a ported saw.)
Also worth noting that in this case the 262 and 357 were ported while the 254 was more stock, but I thought the 254 did well!

Although it's easy to quantify speed, I think the 254 probably weighs the least by a couple grams, the 357 and 262 are probably pretty close in weight, no? The 254 prob had the most vibs with rubber AV, the 262 slightly better with early semi-spring mount and the 357 probably felt best in low vib spring AV.

The 372xpw (75cc) is just in another league. But if you come to the CT GTG this year I hope you'll bring all these saws.
Al didn’t put fingers in my cylinder, so it’s not maxed out in power potential. Said he built it for torque and boy did he hit a bullseye. Times were very close but the 262 still feels like it’s got more guts than the 357 cutting bigger wood. Which showed in the times with the wider margin in the full bar cut.

I agree that the 254 did pretty well being the displacement underdog. I’ve been playing with that saw, modding one step at a time to see what I could gain before grinding. I didn’t jump right into grinding because the cylinder times beautiful as it is. Came in at 103/122/73 with the thin gasket. It needs more intake for sure, which might really wake it up with the big carb that’s on it now. Exhaust and transfers will stay where they’re at but I will widen and massage the ports. It’s got great power in a small package and yes it’s lighter than the 357 by about a half pound if my memory serves me correctly. I think it’s a little out of its comfort zone pulling a 20” 3/8 bar, I may compare it again but put my 18” .325 back on it. That’s a sweet B&C combo for the 254.

The 357 is about the same amount lighter than the 262, maybe a little more haven’t looked up those specs yet.

I put rubber mounts all around on both the 254 and 262. Call me nuts but I love the rigid feel of hard mounts. Early 2-series spring mounts were too mushy for my preference. The 357 is definitely smooth as butter being a 3-series.

I brought my 372 out just for fun, and when I had the thought to speed up that first cut I was giggling like an idiot...lol! Joe and I will both be at the CT GTG and I’m bringing all of my of saws, I only have 6. Hopefully by then I’ll have had the time to get inside the 254 again. Looking forward to meeting you.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you notice any improvement in swapping all the HDA-120 parts over to the HDA-199 carb on the 254XP? I know the 199 has a larger venturi, but since you didn't port your cylinder, did it benefit from the larger carb?