2012 Dodge Ram 2500 CCLB carrier bearing

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you going to replace the pinion bearings too?
I`m not planning on it. This is my first go at fixing a rear end issue and I`m not super comfortable going any further than I am - @dall needs to get squared away so I can watch him do this stuff more often, he`s been helping me along the way. I do realize it may be worth it while it is all taken apart, but unless there is a show stopping reason, I am going to just replace the 2 inner bearings/races.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I`m not planning on it. This is my first go at fixing a rear end issue and I`m not super comfortable going any further than I am - @dall needs to get squared away so I can watch him do this stuff more often, he`s been helping me along the way. I do realize it may be worth it while it is all taken apart, but unless there is a show stopping reason, I am going to just replace the 2 inner bearings/races.

You'll still need to get case bearing preload and backlash set or you'll eat the bearings or gears again.
Be happy you aren't doing it in a diff that's all done with shims because that makes it a pain in the asś.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll still need to get case bearing preload and backlash set or you'll eat the bearings or gears again.
Be happy you aren't doing it in a diff that's all done with shims because that makes it a pain in the asś.
the passenger side bearing of center section had play where the cage and rollers could move easily
i had him adjust it snug because the drivers side was still tight and try it and he still had noise but less noise
so i had him take the center section out and you see what was there
i did tell him he would have to do the backlash adjustment when putting it back together

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I`m prepared to check the backlash but I`ll have to look into the case bearing preload. I did not move the driver side adjuster so I am hoping it`ll be fine where it was and will only have to adjust the passenger side.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I`m prepared to check the backlash but I`ll have to look into the case bearing preload. I did not move the driver side adjuster so I am hoping it`ll be fine where it was and will only have to adjust the passenger side.
that is part of the backlash lol

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case bearing preload is measured by rolling torque.
You need to measure rolling torque on the pinion. Then measure it with the carrier in place and keep adjusting until that's in spec and also backlash.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case bearing preload is measured by rolling torque.
You need to measure rolling torque on the pinion. Then measure it with the carrier in place and keep adjusting until that's in spec and also backlash.
If I ever need to redo a rear end, I know who I am calling....last time I was into one the outcome was less than ideal.