Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

18V Cordless Tools

Discussion in 'Tools' started by GCJenks204, Sep 5, 2018.

1. GCJenks204

GCJenks204 ONE OF THE GREATEST!

I am looking at upgrading my mishmash collection of cordless tools and focus my efforts on one system. I know there are Milwaukee guys ans Makita guys hear and I want to hear their thoughts but any Bosch guys here?

A friend of mine who's family owns a tool and fastener company right away recommended the Bosch (they sell all 3) "They have the best features and warranty of all"

One thing I noticed is that the 1/4" impact is also a 1/2" socket driver within the same unit...

This is the starter set he recommended:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-drills-clpk223-181-140338-p/

Dub11 likes this.
  2. jakethesnake

jakethesnake I Am The Snake

Never ran any Bosch stuff. I’m deep in dewalt stuff so that’s what I run

amberg and GCJenks204 like this.
  3. srcarr52

srcarr52 We can't stop here, th1s is bat country!

But it's only 137 ft-lbs of torque, that makes it pretty much useless for 1/2 drive needs.

Even the little Milwaukee 1/2" driver will strip lug nuts if you're not careful with it.

4. GCJenks204

So an added feature that is pretty much useless?

5. srcarr52

srcarr52 We can't stop here, th1s is bat country!

It's nice for driving sill plate bolts or lighter torque things that would break a 1/4" hex to socket adapter. So it might be ok on a contruction site, but for general mechanic work it's weak.

We use Makita 1/4" hex impact drivers with 3/8" adapters for most stuff on our race cars. Once in a while we'll break an adapter on a sock or suspension bolt, they are all nylock so high torque isn't needed. We started with Makitas when they were the first to come out with LI batteries and just stayed with them because we have so many tools. I think we broke our last original impact early this year and we may have one original drill still working... around 12 years of abuse now. The newer brush-less models have significantly more RPM and torque, also seem to have better battery life.

We have a 1/2" Milwaukee is used for lug nuts or 1/2" suspension bolts, usually it's throttled back to level 2. Makita didn't have a small frame brush-less to compete when we bought the Milwaukee; they do now... but they are proud of it.

If we had to outfit the whole shop again I would guess it would be Milwaukee.

6. GCJenks204

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

7. Ryan Browne

Ryan Browne Pinnacle OPE Member

That Bosch setup with the 1/2 drive always on board would be handy I think. I use the 20v (actually only 18) dewalt stuff. I use the impact a lot with a 3/8 adapter to drive sockets. It's not much over 100 ft lbs, but it's super handy. Only problem is that the length of the adapter sometimes makes the tool too long to fit where it needs too. I don't know why most of those adapters are an inch longer than they need to be.

The Bosch setup seems cool, though 1/2 sockets are quite a bit bigger and heavier than 3/8 drive. I keep a cheap set of 3/8 impact sockets in my dewalt bag. 1/2" set might be too big and heavy to lug around. But, it would be great not to worry about losing adapters or having them fail etc.

I haven't tried many of the other brands in the last few years, but I will say I'm happy with my dewalt stuff. Had it about 3 years and no problems so far. Feel good in the hand, good battery life, assembled in the USA (whatever that really means), and little things like being able to switch bits one handed and the light staying on for 20 seconds after releasing the trigger make for a good user experience.

GCJenks204 likes this.
  8. brandonstclair20

brandonstclair20 Pinnacle OPE Member

I’ve never used any Bosch power tools but I love my Milwaukee 1/4 cordless impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne likes this.
  9. woodtool89

woodtool89 I'm a living regret

[​IMG]

jakethesnake and Dub11 like this.
  10. Rob Stafari

Rob Stafari Pinnacle OPE Member

Once upon a time I had cordless bosch everything. Started with the heavy durable 24V stuff that was top of the line at the time when it came to power. Upgraded to 18V when the time came. Went all in thinking they would be just as good as the old 24V tanks I had. Cordless hammer drill, reciprocating saw, jig saw, planer, impacts(14.4V). Slowly, but surely, the problems developed. Triggers in the drills went to chit. Batteries became junk. All the while my much older 24V stuff still functioned properly and batteries were still good to go. Got replacement drills and impacts and it wasn't long before the same thing was happening. Pissed me off something fierce.

Made the switch to Makita and never looked back. At the time they were unchallenged champ of power to weight ratio and had the lightest, strongest impacts on the market. I was a production finish carpenter trimming houses interior and hanging doors and cabinets all day. I was happy for the weight saving. The makitas have far outlasted the 2nd gen boschs I had. I've bought up makita sets from the home depot clearance because the cost was just above that of the batteries and one can never have too many batteries. So I have 3 drills and 3 impacts. Which means I have some to spare. I've tried to kill them just to see how much they can take. Even the homeowner model home depot specials keep on trucking. They do offer different homeowner and pro lines. There is a noticeable quality difference, but they still work and all the newer batteries interchange.

That being said I work with some guys that are Milwaukee guys and if I were to be making the switch all over again it would be a real tough decision between them and Makita. I still think I'd end up with Makita. F*** Bosch though, Never again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

P.S. I have the biggest half inch Makita impact and that thing is a beast. That and the X2 blower are the best things I've added to the stable as of late.

KiwiBro, GCJenks204 and Dub11 like this.
  11. amberg

amberg Pinnacle OPE Member

Guess that I am a Milwaukee guy. I have both the 18 and 12 volt systems. But the 18 volt blower has become my most favorite off all. Works great for blowing the decks off the bush hog and lawn mowers. 100_0528.JPG

12. Al Smith

Al Smith Pinnacle OPE Member

All my stuff is Dewalt .Two drills,one impact drill and one Sawzall .All 18 volt .They were all freebies from work that were given to me when I retired .

13. CJ Brown

CJ Brown I learned it from a hockey card...

Another vote for Milwaukee here. I have a couple 12v brushless impact drivers I used when I worked as a carpenter for a couple years. They have taken a beating and still work flawlessly, and have an impressive amount of torque and speed. The 18v Makita guys were pretty impressed even though they scoffed when I first brought them onto the work site.

I also have an 18v brushless hammer drill which I haven't used a lot, but it seems well made and works as it should. The best cordless tool I have is my 18v 1/2" impact that I use at work. I've been using it for just over 6 months now every day and it never fails to impress me. That thing hits HARD, and the 5.0 ah batteries seem to last a long time as well. If you want something for automotive or work, look no further.

amberg, GCJenks204 and Rob Stafari like this.
  14. Rob Stafari

Rob Stafari Pinnacle OPE Member

As the old saying goes... Never sniff a gift fish. Any way you go about it, can't beat free if it works!

amberg, GCJenks204 and Dub11 like this.
  15. amberg

amberg Pinnacle OPE Member

Another favorite of mine, This grease gun is sweet. It works super with the 5 gallon pails of grease. This is the 12 volt version. 100_0570.JPG

stihl livin and Rob Stafari like this.
  16. Dub11

Dub11 Some body poisoned the watering hole!

Has anyone seen the AvE or Boltr guy on YT. Not only is he funny as *s-word but he breaks these tools down and looks over the innards, letting you know who and what companies went cheap on.

amberg, Rob Stafari and GCJenks204 like this.
  17. Dub11

I just found out Techtronic Industries bought Milwaukee in 2005. TI owns ryobi and makes drills for Ridgid and Craftsman under license.

After seeing a few videos on Hilti they have really caught my attention.

amberg and Rob Stafari like this.
  18. GCJenks204

Yes, Hilti is impressive but way beyond what I could possibly ever need. I fondled some of the Bosch tools yesterday but I think that Makita will be what I end up purchasing. Just a matter of if I can get decent local service or if I just buy box store stuff.

Rob Stafari and Dub11 like this.
  19. Dub11

I was looking at the 12v stuff from Hilti, I know you are looking at the 18v stuff but the price point was better for me and I dig the lighter weight of the 12v stuff.

GCJenks204 likes this.
  20. hseII

hseII AKA - Kim's Husband

I Agree.

[​IMG]

amberg and stihl livin like this.