045 AV tear down help

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was running the 045 AV I got a while back and it just died mid cut like a fuel supply issue. Pulled it apart and the piston and cylinder look good, 160 psi compression, passed vac/pressure test, and I have fire. The fuel line is SOFT and filter looks ok but I'm going to change it.

Is this fuel line available still?
How do I remove this one AV mount to get the fuel tank off? It has flats for a wrench, but dont want to screw something up!

I also plan on rebuilding the carb since it seems like a fuel problem to me.

Thanks

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, does anyone have and IPL or manual for this saw?

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet your ignition went south. Is it points or electronic?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure yet. Haven't pulled the FW. It is the older style without a chain brake if that helps. I started digging and saw that was a common thing. It won't hit a lick, but I have spark. Could it still be sparking, but not hot enough? Is there an easy way to tell without pulling the flywheel?

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't sound like spark then. I supposed it could have awarded the key and be out of time. With checking.

Have you tried a shot of mix down the carb throat?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just did, and it would hit and run a second or two. Carb rebuild kit ordered and supposedly the factory line is still available. Not sure how to get that one AV mount out. I just realized the pictures didn't load. Let me retry that one.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it is

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 18

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grab the flat sides of the rubber and unscrew it.
Here's what it looks like: View attachment 52959
Got it, thanks. I didn't want to screw it up! I saw the flats but wasn't positive that's what they were for. I got the tank/carb box separated from the case. I am guessing the fuel line is inside the tank halves and must be split to remove? I tried to pull a vac on the line and it won't even collapse. I assume this is my fuel delivery problem.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Put a little bit of fuel in the tank and close the cap tight with the vent in the cap plugged. Give it a little shake and if fuel comes pouring out the little hole where the carb connects then your fuel delivery is just fine. If it flows well then the problem will be solved when you replace the carb diaphragms.
And dying in mid cut and not running again is a symptom I've experienced many many times when I get saws which were previously ran with ethanol fuel.

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you haven't pulled the carb apart yet, I bet the little fuel inlet screen on the pump side of the carb is packed right full of fine dust and won't let any fuel pass.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't pulled the carb apart yet. I like to have parts in hand first. I suspect you are right about the screen. This saw probably may have been ran on ethanol before I got it. My coworker is the one that gave it to me, but his son had ran it last year for firewood. He gave it back because it was too heavy and loud! I dumped the old gas of course and put some TruFuel in the first tank. I burned that tank and then on the second tank it died. First time I have saw a carb fed that way. I'm used to the newer stuff with fuel lines. The boss lady said I had to home so I will try these suggestions tomorrow to see if any work.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a nice Stihl 045 AV that is cosmetically in great shape. The owner burned it out while buck cutting big logs and it has no compression. Truly sad. These were great saws. But, they are really tough to work on and parts are scarce. I have no choice today but to put it up for sale as a project saw. Here it is:

Does it look like yours? If so, I likely have all the parts that you would ever need to buy.

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that is a little newer with the chain brake. Mine doesn't have one, but I would say most parts would swap. That is one fine looking 045. If I didn't already have a few "project" saws, I would snatch it up. Let me see what I run into first. PM me price.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I snuck back up to the shop to do some paperwork and the carb was sitting on my desk. Took the covers off and I think I found my problem. Diaphragm is torn/cracked AND the screen is slightly clogged. Rebuild is in order. I will check the fuel line like @Chainsaw Jim told me to tomorrow. Kit should be here from the stealer in a day or two. This is more of a toy than anything. It was a freebie and looked lonely sitting on the shelf so I took it out for a workout. If I never getting it going, it is still and good looking old Stihl. It sure does wear you out compared to a new 461!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PM Sent regardless. Check your inbox. This saw is actually stronger than a 461 when it runs correctly. More like today's 660. Having a backup like the one I show would be a big plus, even if you get yours to run with carb work.