High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

STIHL 044 chainsaw problems

Andros2240

New OPE Member
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
New here to the forum, looking for some help with my stihl 044 chainsaw. Chainsaw runs fine with air filter off , but as soon as I put the filter back on, seems like it isn’t receiving any fuel and bogs down to the point where it can’t be used. Chain doesn’t spin with filter on either, sounds like it’s choked for air. Would changing the fuel filter help? I also did not winterize saw when I left home for the summer and wife didn’t know what I was talking about when tying to explain to her she needs to winterize the chainsaw. 044 sat for 6 months with mixed fuel.

I have used the 044 recently this year, and just now having problems. I always use supreme gasoline, mix in small batches and never add new gas to old mix.

I live overseas in South America half the year, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Andy

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
2 silly questions and no offense meant but is your air filter clean and are you pulling your chain brake to the off position? Back toward you.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site @Andros2240 it's nice to meet you.
Iam definitely no chainsaw wizard but the first thing that comes to my mind may be clogged filter or weak crankcase pressure. Impulse line may be cracked and just by putting filter is adding enough resistance that it won't run with it but will run without? Iam just spitballing here but wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

There are plenty of masters on this site that I know can probably tell you exactly what the issue is.
@drf256, @tree monkey and @Redfin just to name a few. I am sure someone will be along shortly.

Andros2240

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, affirm...chainbreak was disengaged and air filter is clean.

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the site @Andros2240 it's nice to meet you.
Iam definitely no chainsaw wizard but the first thing that comes to my mind may be clogged filter or weak crankcase pressure. Impulse line may be cracked and just by putting filter is adding enough resistance that it won't run with it but will run without? Iam just spitballing here but wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

There are plenty of masters on this site that I know can probably tell you exactly what the issue is.
@drf256, @tree monkey and @Redfin just to name a few. I am sure someone will be along shortly.
Yes they are the masters for sure.

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe carb got gummed up setting for those 6 months but yes i would look at the gas filter first. Sorry other than those items its above my pay grade but good luck!

Andros2240

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, they have stihl distributors locally here, easy to buy a new fuel filter

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thats really weird it runs with no air filter and wont run with air filter installed. Could something be blocking the venturi opening( the main opening where it gets air) think thats what its called anyway? I had rodent build a nest in my lawn mower air intake, made a mess and ants keep putting mud in my key hole, had to put duct tape over it.

Leeroy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I meant an air filter Andy. I've had similar problems where I thought I had a clean air filter, but swapping in a new one solved it. Guess you'd have a spare if that didn't solve it.