024 Stihl hard to start

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given an 024 that needs at least 12 pulls on cold start up. After it warms up it starts easily.
I have cleaned the carb, (WT-194), & installed new gaskets, pump diaphragm, & metering diaphragm.
Installed new impulse line & fuel line.
Installed new plug & fuel filter.
Installed new air filter.
Cleaned the tank vent.
Still hard to start when cold.
Any ideas?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might need more fuel on the low speed circuit. How's the coil to FW gap? How about the compression?

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply.
Good compression. Have not checked the flywheel gap but will do. I've ordered the Walbro 500-13 metering gage to check the metering lever height.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The choke flaps on those sometimes do not fully close. Take off the filter and work choke arm you will see where the flap needs relieved if its not full closing.
Good call John. Your Stihl-fu is much stronger than mine.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had many saws that take a few pulls on a cold start no matter what brand .Then once they fire they might be good to go for several more days . The large displacement ones I prime which helps .One I don't is a 2100 Husqvarna which has a tendency to flood .Shall we just say that one has a very bad attitude .
By 024 takes maybe 8 on a cold start then fires usually first time on a restart .

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The choke flaps on those sometimes do not fully close. Take off the filter and work choke arm you will see where the flap needs relieved if its not full closing.
I have looked at that but will take a closer look.
I've had many saws that take a few pulls on a cold start no matter what brand .Then once they fire they might be good to go for several more days . The large displacement ones I prime which helps .One I don't is a 2100 Husqvarna which has a tendency to flood .Shall we just say that one has a very bad attitude .
By 024 takes maybe 8 on a cold start then fires usually first time on a restart .
I am thinking I may have one of those bad attitude saws. The gentleman that gave me this saw had bought it new & said it was always hard to start. He always squirted some gas in the plug hole to get the first start of the day.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever tried another carb?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a rule ,depending on the carb and according to a bona-fide Stihl dealer it could take up to 8 or so tugs to fire them off if they have sat for a while .I've found that to be true on many .However by the same token I have a Poulan s25 DA that will fire on 4 even after sitting for a year and has since it was brand new .Go figure .

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever tried another carb?
I have not tried another carb. If I decide to use this saw a lot I may try one. This saw was given to me & I have other saws that I use. (easier to start)
As a rule ,depending on the carb and according to a bona-fide Stihl dealer it could take up to 8 or so tugs to fire them off if they have sat for a while .I've found that to be true on many .However by the same token I have a Poulan s25 DA that will fire on 4 even after sitting for a year and has since it was brand new .Go figure .
I have several Stihl's & some Homelites that fire up with a few pulls most of the time even after sitting for months. However this 024 is the hardest saw to start that I ever used.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well just be thankful that Stihl is an 024 and not an 084 . That thing would wear you out tugging on it .BTW my 084 starts easy ,thankful for that .Actually all my Stihls, maybe 15- 20 start easy .Truth be known I'm not exactly certain how many I have .However one of my 200T's is having a "moment" at the moment .I'll get on that when I find the time . More than likely ignition ,it has a brand new carb .