High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

024/026/MS260/034/036/MS360 etc oiler pliers ... How To.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. I think anyone that has ever worked on one of the Stihl oilers that requires the semi-rigid plastic tubing will admit they can be a little tricky. I have heat, I have heard a dab of oil, I have heard "read the manual and make the pliers." I am still waiting on the tubing kit but figured I should get prepared for battle. The last time I battled the tubing was over 8 years ago and I still remember it as an experience..

So the factory service manual states to simply drill a 5.5mm hole through a pair of pliers... hmm... ok. I know @Mastermind has done this so I e-mailed and he said with a drill press and good bit, no worries. OK...

First 5.5mm converts to ~.002" under 7/32. Pick up a few 7/32 bits, low drill speed, clamped the pliers in a vise. No joy. I quickly chowdered two brand new decent bits. Feck. Back to scratching my head...

Talking to a few good friends I brought up "Why not take the temper out." They agreed you could do this easy enough. I tried once more before upping my game with an honest drill press instead of the 250lb gorilla press.. still it was a no bueno.

Time to get serious. A tack weld on the tip of these Chinese needle noses to keep them together securely. Check. Now off to find my favorite wrench, the red one! Heated the Top Ramen right out of these Chinese pliers to an International Harvester Red and let them air cool. Back into the vise and OMG kids... hot knife in butter. While at it I dropped back and popped another hole in at 3/16. If an issue with the 7/32 size I can easily open up the smaller hole to fit the line better (I still do NOT have a line kit here...).

Next I just zipped the tip with a cut off wheel. Now these bad boys open once again. From there to everyone's favorite part launcher, the bench grinder and wire wheel. Hanging on for dear life I buffed, deburred, and rounded the edges with out impaling my self with my newly made Stihl Service Tool.

I think with a propane torch and a cordless drill one could easily do this in a home shop. Heat each leg seperate to cherry red and let air cool slowly. Then clamp the pliers securely in a bench vise and get to it. Trimming the end is not 100% necessary but I think it will make life nicer working with and less risk of sticking it solidly through my hand.

Once I put these bad boys into action I'll report how they worked but my experience is that most procedures that Stihl spells out.. work pretty well.
3885fc5739118db3041aeeb1b5ab661f.jpg
6f66f2d7b8f94ef3175a91acfb1a64a8.jpg
067722f14d68ef3cbaee543c6b3d90e4.jpg
e5a3522b9596914f698d9fb00d8a3e58.jpg
9b2ce12d7602b7b5563e314c684b013d.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Concrete bits will drill through hardened steel, just don’t use to much pressure or you’ll break the tip.
They will...if kept cool. Windex is a wonderful coolant. They lack precision in steel. I know as I have drilled many bars with them for milling... For the precision needed to clamp with out crimping I wanted to stay with a twist bit.

Another option I considered was roughing it in with cut off wheels and then final shaping with a 7/32 file.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a set using Craftsman pliers. I didn't have a problem drilling them. I lost that pair (found them in my 8year olds tool bag recently) and tried to make a new pair using chi com pliers and had the same results as you. Did the same thing, annealed the steel, then drill. I guess they use different steel than the Merican made pliers.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a set using Craftsman pliers. I didn't have a problem drilling them. I lost that pair (found them in my 8year olds tool bag recently) and tried to make a new pair using chi com pliers and had the same results as you. Did the same thing, annealed the steel, then drill. I guess they use different steel than the Merican made pliers.
Interesting. I had these pliers and one tip was already broken...was broken when I found them. My inner hoarder wouldn't let me toss them. I figured this was a perfect application for them as I hate to buy another nice set of pliers for something I may use 3-4 times. I also do not want to fight those three or 4 times either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I had these pliers and one tip was already broken...was broken when I found them. My inner hoarder wouldn't let me toss them. I figured this was a perfect application for them as I hate to buy another nice set of pliers for something I may use 3-4 times. I also do not want to fight those three or 4 times either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think you did a great job.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve always just heated the tube up with a Bic lighter. Using the blue portion of the flame.
Keep the tube moving throughout the flame for 8-10 seconds.
Haven’t had one I couldn’t install using that method.......yet