Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I wouldn’t piss on you if your were on fire in my driveway for $3k.

No joke. Looks like close to a three thousand dollar paint job. What a prick. Must've taken some balls to try to pull that off. Must've also taken some serious restraint on your part not to punch the guy.

Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No joke. Looks like close to a three thousand dollar paint job. What a prick. Must've taken some balls to try to pull that off. Must've also taken some serious restraint on your part not to punch the guy.

The OEM LimeLight paint at my Uncle’s cost was almost $2k. Conservatively i would estimate that paint job at $7k.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OEM LimeLight paint at my Uncle’s cost was almost $2k. Conservatively i would estimate that paint job at $7k.

Wow. I've never had a vehicle painted other than a quarter panel on a Civic after I hit a black bear. Didn't know it could get that expensive. Turned out sweet though. That was a sweet looking Duster. My first ride was a Very with the slant six, so I've always been partial to Mopars.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. I've never had a vehicle painted other than a quarter panel on a Civic after I hit a black bear. Didn't know it could get that expensive. Turned out sweet though. That was a sweet looking Duster. My first ride was a Very with the slant six, so I've always been partial to Mopars.

You don’t pay for the paint, you pay for the prep!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don’t pay for the paint, you pay for the prep!

Truer words have never been spoken.

To properly paint a car, especially a classic or show car, you will literally disassemble the entire car. Pull off every item that can be removed, all the wiring, all the plumbing, any piece of sheetmetal that can come off, the entire driveline and suspension. Everything will be either stripped to bare metal or heavily sanded and prepped. Body work/ steel replacement will be done and the car will cleaned/washed then be sprayed with primer. Primer will be sanded smooth and any other follow on body work done. Will be cleaned/washed again, then primed again and wet sanded smooth. Once that is done and everything is up to par, it will be washed/cleaned then sprayed inside and out with paint (anywhere from 3-15 coats/layers depending on the paint). Once properly dried the paint will be wet sanded in several stages then washed and cleaned again. If a clear is to be used it will then be applied and wet sanded put again. Once smooth, it will be washed /cleaned then buffed and polished.

Oh yeah, then put the entire car back together, re-fit the body panels and adjust all the joints and body lines.

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

To properly paint a car, especially a classic or show car, you will literally disassemble the entire car. Pull off every item that can be removed, all the wiring, all the plumbing, any piece of sheetmetal that can come off, the entire driveline and suspension. Everything will be either stripped to bare metal or heavily sanded and prepped. Body work/ steel replacement will be done and the car will cleaned/washed then be sprayed with primer. Primer will be sanded smooth and any other follow on body work done. Will be cleaned/washed again, then primed again and wet sanded smooth. Once that is done and everything is up to par, it will be washed/cleaned then sprayed inside and out with paint (anywhere from 3-15 coats/layers depending on the paint). Once properly dried the paint will be wet sanded in several stages then washed and cleaned again. If a clear is to be used it will then be applied and wet sanded put again. Once smooth, it will be washed /cleaned then buffed and polished.

Oh yeah, then put the entire car back together, re-fit the body panels and adjust all the joints and body lines.
all thats over rated... i get same results doing it this way:borra2:
6642.jpg

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pre-mini tubs/ narrowed 8.75. Shown with a B body 8.75 with 3.23 gears but the wheels are for the narrowed rear.

View attachment 159197 View attachment 159198

Jesus H. Malmsteen I thought 1970 1/2 was the last year of the musclecar...

Then cut/wetsand from 1500 thru 3000+ then clay, polish thru sequential grits change light source wipe down hand glaze and seal...

-edit don't forget the sandwich bag on hand sensitivity test between stages

Last edited:
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jesus H. Malmsteen I thought 1970 1/2 was the last year of the musclecar...

Then cut/wetsand from 1500 thru 3000+ then clay, polish thru sequential grits change light source wipe down hand glaze and seal...

-edit don't forget the sandwich bag on hand sensitivity test between stages

You are bringing back the less-desirable memories of working in my uncle’s body shop growing up. My shoulders and elbows hurt just THINKING about all the wet sanding. Pretty sure my hands just pruned and every sandpaper slice started to make its self known.

But, that “10 feet deep” look of the paint when done made you forget the hundreds of hours that went into it.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is it every time I try to sell something, I get this crap?

View attachment 159144

Make a *frenching fair offer, and I will say yes or no. Is it that hard to not be a douchebag?

You are on the left coast. Not sure its any better on the right coast. People here drive a "hard bargain". Most sales listed on Clist say XXXX amount or BO.
It puts in the mind of the buyer there is a lower price so they see how low they can can go. Perhaps that is abrasive. Most often I just ignore them if I'm jacked
up about how they are approaching it. Things usually go down hill if they piss you off from the start.

In our area bargains are mostly hard to come by. On Craigslist those selling often are at full retail of a used item. I'm not sure this problem is going to go away.
Most often I've never had much success selling anything on Craigslist.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stupid people.

I posted my ‘74 Duster for sale a few years back (612hp/589tq stroker small block/BUILT 727/8.75 with 4.30s on 4 link, mini-tub, interior was almost perfect and had a less than 1 year old paint job in OEM LimeLight) asking $12,500 FIRM. Guy hits me says he wants to test drive the car and says he is bringing cash. Ok!

Run over to buddy’s house, grab some 110 to toss in it (already had some 93 in it but I wanted to getthe car sold), get it pulled out and prepped up. Ole boy shows up with a fancy new Duradud and a trailer: good sign he is serious. Go over every square inch of the car, show him everything, fire it up. Show him I have $22k worth of reciepts in a binder. He says it looks great, let’s go for a ride.

I drove. Took him around, showed him how well it handled, the upgraded brakes stopped it perfectly, cruised. Then we stopped in an abandoned housing development with a nice straightaway and did a couple burnouts to heat up the cheater slicks. Did 3 launches and picked the front tires off the ground each time; he looked like a little Kid at Christmas. Head back to the house and park it.

He says let’s get down to business. He pulls a big wad out of his pocket and starts counting, acting like a big shot. Tries to hand me $3,000. I was beyond words! I finally sputtered “Are you flukking serious?!?!?” He says with a used car salesman grin “Well, you need cash and I want the car. Take it or leave it.” I walk up closer to him, seething and told him “I’d rather light the car on fire in my own driveway and piss on it than sell it to you, let alone sell it for 3 grand. Now get the fuukk out of here!”

That *frenching douchenozzle tried calling me 3 or 4 more times over the next few weeks. Never answered.

Now I am all about getting a good deal, and I don’t mind some haggling; but don’t be a douchenozzle

May have lit him on fire and sent him on his way. What a jerk! :mad: