So I did a thing

redhawk4178

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 weeks ago even though I haven't burned wood in 4 years I'm at a new place I seen an auction that had like a hundred and twenty chainsaws locally to me. The guy must have bought out a solo dealership in the area. there's three guys are they really knew what they were looking at and they bought most of the good ones. But I ended up with 28. And my fiance did not kill me. after doing some research on some of the solo parts look like they're really hard to find. I have a 680 that's locked up. I decided to start with the dolmar 116SI. first I checked but compression was only 70. so I pulled the muffler in the carb and it had scoring on the exhaust side. I tore it down and I think I cleaned it up. if anybody's bored and wants to give me their opinion I have a piston on the way. every saw I got the parts are a pain in the ass to get. well I guess except for the Husky 50 but of course that started right away. all is not lost because I tore into the 123 and it had a 150 PSI compression.
2b68f701c74fe2863c370958d40e83f4.jpg
f0b47ab16949bb34aac70c578327437b.jpg
f91c6681e3f7671bac25d9d346855313.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the 2nd pic from the bottom it looks to me like you still have some transfer below the exhaust port. I am sure you know this already but the cylinder can have some score marks but no transfer. If you miss some, it will just mess up your new piston. Are you using the mastermind method for cleaning the cylinder?

redhawk4178

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Jred is a locked up 910 another beast with nla parts... lol... A guy is torn between parting out and cleaning and tearing apart and seeing what can be done. I gotta make leak down plates though so i dont hose myself just looking at feel of bearing and top end.

Yes Mastermind cylinder clean up one problem is I didn't want to get too close to that port and ware the plating down. I did start with a little bit of muriatic acid I got a bunch of years ago. I looked at home Depot for one of those round deals that he cuts down to put in the cylinder with Scotch-Brite. but I couldn't find one. I had to go to that harbor store for a Deadman valve so I look there and they had something similar. I sure wish I had my lathe set up because I cut that whole thing down using my bench grinder and a drill and took off probably three quarters of an inch made a hell of a mess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well all the transfer has to be removed. If not it will trash the new piston. Just take your time. If the plating comes off it may still be salvageable. As it stands now its junk until the transfer is gone.