Milling Question

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mill as soon as possible. Just seal the ends good if you don't want to kill them right away

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sticker right away and use cinder blocks on top to keep them flat.
images

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am gearing up to start milling and bloody hell, there is some prep and gear needed.

I have space to sticker the slabs, but I need to get all the spacing timber ready, something to cover it and cinder blocks.
Hell.... I have cut so much firewood I could use that as weight

What do people use as spacers?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am gearing up to start milling and bloody hell, there is some prep and gear needed.

I have space to sticker the slabs, but I need to get all the spacing timber ready, something to cover it and cinder blocks.
Hell.... I have cut so much firewood I could use that as weight

What do people use as spacers?

Typically the same wood as you are milling, if possible. Sometimes differing species will "stain" wood as it sticks drying.
Edit. If it's just lumber it don't matter, if it's furniture grade milling then staining matters.

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use the wane you cut off the end of the boards for stickers ,i have had boards warp when i mill them an hour after i fall them ,the longer you let them dry the harder the wood gets,softwoods cam be down a year and mill ok still

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the best luck with stacking the cherry on its edge leaned on each other. Even weighted and strapped the 3" thick oak cupped.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like others have said cut the logs green and stick it right away. Your always going to have some boards warp no matter how much you try. Start you stack off the ground 6" or more and get it flat. I enjoy milling it's addicting.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like others have said cut the logs green and stick it right away. Your always going to have some boards warp no matter how much you try. Start you stack off the ground 6" or more and get it flat. I enjoy milling it's addicting.

The addicting part is what scares me. I need longer days as it is. lol

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a choice mill logs with the heart in the center for lumber ,if the heart is off center when you cut the boards you can watch then curl up as you are cutting them
Here is what i sticker with ,just scraps off the sides ,so they are 1.5 thick and flat on 3 sides
Around here if i do not sticker the boards and just stack them ,the saw dust molds real fast and stains the boards .
sawmill cedar 003 (2).jpg sawmill cedar 012 (2).jpg

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the best luck with stacking the cherry on its edge leaned on each other. Even weighted and strapped the 3" thick oak cupped.
Leave them on the lawn overnight with the cup other direction ,something about the dew straitens them back out ,sometimes i can just flip the cupped ones over in the sun and they will cup the other way back strait .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you wash them off with a hose to remove all sawdust, or blow them off with air ?

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you wash them off with a hose to remove all sawdust, or blow them off with air ?
If too dusty i just sweep with a broom,or tip the board and give it a tap and it falls off ,or a swipe with the hand with a glove on ,as long as air can get to the boards once stickered they do not seem to mold ,some dust will be on them ,that is no big deal as long as can breath when drying

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leave them on the lawn overnight with the cup other direction ,something about the dew straitens them back out ,sometimes i can just flip the cupped ones over in the sun and they will cup the other way back strait .
If they didn't weigh 400 lbs each I may try that.