Let's See Them Chips !!!!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, when cutting a log lengthwise like shown, do you start with the saw bar perpendicular to the end of the log? Or do you cut lengthwise into the bark keeping the bar at an angle? I have lots of smaller hardwood branches that would make nice small boards for shelving and such.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you hold the bar parallel to the grain (noodling) you will get very long, stringy chips that make excellent fire starter, but tend to plug up the clutch cover.

20190413_175800.jpg

If you hold the bar perpendicular to the grain (milling) you get very small chips, but the cutting goes much slower.

(see above)

If you have enough bar, holding it around 45° to the grain for bigger chips that won't tend to plug up the cover. Keep in mind that almost any limb wood is going to twist and warp quite a lot as it dries so you may want to cut your boards extra thick and plane them to the desire final thickness after curing.

Mark

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, thanks so much! I've watched a couple of videos on it. Looks like if you leave some bar length between the wood and the clutch cover you can keep it from clogging up as much.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, thanks so much! I've watched a couple of videos on it. Looks like if you leave some bar length between the wood and the clutch cover you can keep it from clogging up as much.
it helps for sure but unless you have a wider cover with extra space for chips it still get plugged up.