Homelite

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Homelite XL2 Auto that I’m having issues with. The saw was given to me because the guy couldn’t get it to fire at all. I rebuilt the carburetor, checked and cleaned the reed, put in a new gas line and filter, spark plug, duck bill in fuel tank and also cleaned the points, adjusted the points gap(which was way off) and checked the air gap. I also checked the compression before doing all this which was 135 psi. I got the saw to start and rev up but then quits. I have to use the choke to restart but then it does the same thing. I started with the low speed at 1 turn out and it got a little better as I backed the low speed out all the way to 3 turns but still quits. I pulled the plug and it’s dry and a grayish color. Where should the low speed be to start with before tuning ? Anyone have any ideas for me to try ?
thanks for any help

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First did you set the metering lever height to spec?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both needles should be out 1 turn or a bit more to start. I think some early models did not have a high side screw.

Does it just die with the trigger squeezed when you have it rev'd up? Check your idle speed adjust screw is in far enough as well.

Besides checking what AVB said about your metering lever height, check that your impulse channel is open to the carb and that you have the gaskets and diaphragms in the correct sequence in the carb.

I've messed that order up more than once not paying attention to what I was doing.

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I didn’t check the metering lever height for one reason I don’t have any manuals that shows me the specs to what it should be. Do you guys have any info on this ? Do I use a straight edge across the bottom of the carb body and it just touches the metering lever ?
Fossil once it starts with the choke on it will quit once I take the choke off but if I hold it wide open as I feather the choke of and on it will run up to peak rpm but only for a few seconds then quits anyway even with it still full throttle. It doesn’t have a high speed jet just the low speed. I’m pretty sure the gaskets are right because I followed a diagram I found for a HDC 15 carb rebuild. The diagram I found was identical to the way it came apart but I guess it could be wrong. Do you happen to have a diagram of this carb ? These saws are new to me, this one was made the year I was born lol
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just went and look at my w-tool. The HDC metering lever is set level with carburetor metering diaphragm gasket mounting area without the gasket in place. You can use a straight ruler or similar item to set it.

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thanks AVB I will check that later today and see if that helps

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the carburetor back apart and checked the metering lever which was quit a bit higher than the carb body using a straight edge. Also I removed the clip and small screen where the check valve is according to the walbro parts diagram. There is nothing in the orifice where the check valve goes(as in no check valve at all). Would I be able to see the check valve ? I have never pulled this screen off on the carburetor so maybe whoever rebuilt it before me lost the check valve. Also on the end of the carb there is another small screen held in with a clip. It’s on the end that mounts to the reed block. Is this just a screen or is there something behind it ? I can’t get the clip out to remove the screen. I’ll attach photos. Thanks for the help

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: check valve showed up yesterday and I put it in today. I pressure tested the carb before putting the saw back together and it tested fine. Saw started 3rd pull and runs perfect. Carb needed a little fine tuning and now idles like it should.
thanks for all the help guys