J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright I'm really going out on the limb here hoping someone might know where to find what I'm looking for, splitter is 20yrs old and still works great but parts of the starter and top of engine have broken.. I've rigged it for too long and I really need to buy replacement parts but I simply cannot find them! Model numbers and such I got no clue on but I'll include pictures so you know what I'm asking for help finding

Attachments

• 20240405_171627.jpg
    20240405_171627.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240405_171935.jpg
    20240405_171935.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240405_171946.jpg
    20240405_171946.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 18

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That starter and the plate metal piece that it's attached to are what I need, it holds the oil spout in place and without it the oil leaks. If I had a welder I'd try to just add a piece to extend it, on the second picture on the top right you can see where it bolts to the engine the metal has broken and without that there's nothing to hold it down

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scrap that pos and throw a Predator 212 on it.
Well it's technically my step-dad's. He bought this thing new 20yrs ago, never covered it, never cleaned it off, left it sit in the rain and never even changed the oil or anything and it's lasted that long.. I've had it at my house for the last 8yrs and split 20+cord per year with it and it still runs and starts on the 1st pull.. some of the high pressure hydraulic lines are starting to leak a bit, and the pull starter has started to annoy me to no end and it generally appears as though it's just starting to disintegrate. But, I never found a round I was unable to split. I'm actually starting to consider buying a new splitter, had this one in mind.
I just don't wanna go buying a new engine and putting it on only to have the hydraulic oil tank rust out or the piston seal blow or something else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_232735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_232735_Chrome.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OR: maybe just maybe I could just put an old lawnmower engine on it? :yikes:??:babeando:
I figure as long as the key shape on the shaft is the same it would go right on.. I got one that's on a mower that's busted and the only thing good on is the engine.. really nice engine too. Here's a picture of it.. check it out and tell me if I'm crazy. Been sitting here thinking instead of sleeping

Attachments

• 20240406_030250.jpg
    20240406_030250.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 15

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OR: maybe just maybe I could just put an old lawnmower engine on it? :yikes:??:babeando:
I figure as long as the key shape on the shaft is the same it would go right on.. I got one that's on a mower that's busted and the only thing good on is the engine.. really nice engine too. Here's a picture of it.. check it out and tell me if I'm crazy. Been sitting here thinking instead of sleeping
Hard to say how well it will work. Being 30cc less than the original you may be disappointed??
If it were mine I would do a little welding on that recoil to get it back working. I have the same splitter and never liked the original pump to motor coupling. It was never concentric. Wiped out the crank bearings on the original motor then wiped out the pump after replacing with a new Briggs in short order.
So I scrapped that whole crappy setup and went with the Predator coupled to a 13gpm pump. For around $300 it’s a small investment and I do not see anything major going wrong with the rest of that old splitter. Repacking a cylinder is pretty cheap and hoses are a wear item.
If gave that Briggs to a friend in need . He’s happy with it but I’m happy it’s gone.

erikb

OPE Member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
J Noss, Most lawn mower engines have an aluminum flywheel, and rely on the weight of the blade for starting momentum. Your splitter engine will have a cast iron flywheel for starting momentum. If you take the blade and adapter off the mower you will find it hard to start and it will kick back real bad.
Erik/

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In case anyone else is interested in this same thing, I found the parts.. was $46.99 when I bought it, but as you'll see now it's way more. And the starter cord is a chinesium copy, likely to break in a few weeks. So I must say that I agree with the assessment by @beaglebriar it's better to just buy a new Predator engine. Especially if you have to pay the $80+ that the B.Stratton blower housing is listed at now.
But in my particular case, the splitter isn't mine and the frame is so rusted that the hydraulic fluid might begin to leak and the rest fit to go out at any moment that I find it best to just put these parts on and take it out to the other house and buy a new splitter for myself. and, if this one continues to function? Well that's just a bonus as I now will be able to split wood at both houses instead of hauling the wood back.

Thanks for your help, and for the advice about the likely issue w/mower engine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406_180628_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_180628_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240406_180955_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_180955_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to say how well it will work. Being 30cc less than the original you may be disappointed??
If it were mine I would do a little welding on that recoil to get it back working. I have the same splitter and never liked the original pump to motor coupling. It was never concentric. Wiped out the crank bearings on the original motor then wiped out the pump after replacing with a new Briggs in short order.
So I scrapped that whole crappy setup and went with the Predator coupled to a 13gpm pump. For around $300 it’s a small investment and I do not see anything major going wrong with the rest of that old splitter. Repacking a cylinder is pretty cheap and hoses are a wear item.
If gave that Briggs to a friend in need . He’s happy with it but I’m happy it’s gone.
Do you know what the original GPM of the Huskee pump was? I was looking on Harbor Freight and I found the Predator 224cc engine that has a good bit more TQ (10.23ft-lbs vs 8.1ft-lbs) than the 212cc one and was even thinking "why not try going to a 16gpm?" Is the 13gpm one heavily taxing the Predator engine you have? The 224cc one is only about $25 extra and I'd like as speedy a cycle-time as I can get.
If that's foolish to try would you by chance recall all of the parts you needed to make the switch from the vertical shaft engine to the horizontal shaft Predator?
Edit: and the pump you bought to fit up to it? I don't know a ton about this and I'd like to not buy the wrong stuff if I can help it and I'd love to go with a winning formula

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know what the original GPM of the Huskee pump was? I was looking on Harbor Freight and I found the Predator 224cc engine that has a good bit more TQ (10.23ft-lbs vs 8.1ft-lbs) than the 212cc one and was even thinking "why not try going to a 16gpm?" Is the 13gpm one heavily taxing the Predator engine you have? The 224cc one is only about $25 extra and I'd like as speedy a cycle-time as I can get.
If that's foolish to try would you by chance recall all of the parts you needed to make the switch from the vertical shaft engine to the horizontal shaft Predator?
Edit: and the pump you bought to fit up to it? I don't know a ton about this and I'd like to not buy the wrong stuff if I can help it and I'd love to go with a winning formula
The original is 11gpm I went to 13 because the other pump was leaking and I figured might as well up size a little bit. It doesn’t over work the 212 at all. I never run the engine much past half throttle and I’m plenty happy with the cycle time.
I don’t know how well the 16gpm pump would work with that size engine but I suspect it would be fine.
Here’s the pump I used , it’s a nice kit with basically everything needed. ToolTuff Log Splitter Build Kit:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748Q22HJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Other than that I cut a plate to fit the hole that was left after removing the original engine and welded it in. Then just set the new engine/pump where I liked and bored new holes for mounting. Wasn’t much of job really.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The original is 11gpm I went to 13 because the other pump was leaking and I figured might as well up size a little bit. It doesn’t over work the 212 at all. I never run the engine much past half throttle and I’m plenty happy with the cycle time.
I don’t know how well the 16gpm pump would work with that size engine but I suspect it would be fine.
Here’s the pump I used , it’s a nice kit with basically everything needed. ToolTuff Log Splitter Build Kit:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748Q22HJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Other than that I cut a plate to fit the hole that was left after removing the original engine and welded it in. Then just set the new engine/pump where I liked and bored new holes for mounting. Wasn’t much of job really.
Well thanks a ton for the help you've given, I'm having too hard a time trying to figure out what coupler and pump and hoses and everything I'd need to be able to run a 16gpm pump, seems that the typical coupler shaft sizes are bigger for the kits available for them (1" vs 7/8") and this is too much of a headache for me to try and figure it out anymore. I'll probably go with the kit you did once I've gotten the engine, don't think my stock pump is leaking (but it may be) as its hiding down underneath and that area is already soaked with hydraulic fluid from the control valve leaking.. the screws on it were loose and now I think it might need a new gasket on it or something. So I'll probably do the 13GPM upgrade once I've gotten the Predator Engine and control valve issue sorted out.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's your part numbers.

Thanks, I eventually did find the parts I needed.. they are shown a few posts above in screenshots from Amazon.. it'd be more than $100 for the new shroud and a copy pull starter assembly and then I'd still need to get new bolts to piece it all together as they were lost. A new 212cc Predator engine is only $150 and they seem to be pretty reliable. I think I'm going to take this as an opportunity to also upgrade the Hydraulic pump and go with a 13GPM vs the stock 11GPM one to maybe get a little better cycle-time out of it.
These are very common splitters so hopefully this whole thread may be useful for others in the future.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, to update: I just bought the 212cc Harbor Freight Predator today, and I got lucky! $50/off sale for next 5 days so I got out the door for $109

Also bought a Hydraulic Wood Log Splitter Pump Mount Bracket for 5-7 Hp Engines Fit for SpeeCo, Oregon, Husky 20, 21 and 22 ton Units. https://a.co/d/1RvnuvR from Amazon (think it's the right size lol)

And a 1/2" to 3/4" L075 Flexible 3-Piece L-Jaw Coupling Coupler Set & Rubber Spider for Log Wood Splitter Hybrid Equipment https://a.co/d/ezuLIFc (again, I think/hope it's the right size) and with this, I'm unsure but I MAY not even need it.. will see once I've gotten it all and do the assembly next week hopefully.

So, with those 3 parts, engine, bracket, coupler I'm only out $160 or so, whereas the replacement parts for old engine would have been nearly $100 and be running a 20+yr old engine with thousands of hours on it.

I'd definitely say this is the best option for someone in my position and will update as it goes forward next week hopefully

Attachments

• 20240412_183819.jpg
    20240412_183819.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3