High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Clearing trees and brush - exc or dozer?

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. So who shows up if you get called in and don't have an authorization number and smoke-management plan on file?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. So who shows up if you get called in and don't have an authorization number and smoke-management plan on file?
I dunno. Never done or experienced it, going off what I hear. 10'x10' max...certain days, etc.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dunno. Never done or experienced it, going off what I hear. 10'x10' max...certain days, etc.
Gotcha.

We've had CalFire come out many times over the years. Only once did they shut us down. Usually they inspect, say great work, then bail.

They don't give two *s-words about AQM paperwork, but have to say to have an AQM permit and SMP on file. None of which is required for a burn permit/LE-5, IF required.

Large scale projects, especially with funding and multiple agencies involved, are about the only times we deal with AQM.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AQ is a big deal down here. It's bad cuz it's Ag desert border town so it's a thing.

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Air quality management, from what I gathered

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
California...
Here same as you, stiff breeze works fine

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are pretty much past burning season here as the screwed up Spring eliminated it. No one is real concerned with air quality in my area as common sense rules here. Do not light off 100 acres on Easter Sunday when you have a light wind and the neighbors are having a gathering.

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are pretty much past burning season here as the screwed up Spring eliminated it. No one is real concerned with air quality in my area as common sense rules here. Do not light off 100 acres on Easter Sunday when you have a light wind and the neighbors are having a gathering.
Common sense rules here also. FCS wanted CRP & turn strips burned off by April 5, or you could lightly disc them. With the wind we've been having they got hit with the disc. A bit of common sense goes a long way...

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common sense rules here also. FCS wanted CRP & turn strips burned off by April 5, or you could lightly disc them. With the wind we've been having they got hit with the disc. A bit of common sense goes a long way...
I am not sure what FCS is. Are you saying the old Farm Credit Association? Years ago that was the old PCA ........Production Credit Association . I have never dealt with them and never will. They do not exist here anymore. It is privately held now as Compeer Financial. Around here the filter strips, buffer strips, CRP, and pollinator ground is all administered by FSA ...Farm Service Agency or NRCS.....Natural Resources Conservation Service.

No difference in letters, still too much BS controlling common sense

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FSA, that's it. It used to be ASCS office and I can never remember the new designation.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure what FCS is. Are you saying the old Farm Credit Association? Years ago that was the old PCA ........Production Credit Association . I have never dealt with them and never will. They do not exist here anymore. It is privately held now as Compeer Financial. Around here the filter strips, buffer strips, CRP, and pollinator ground is all administered by FSA ...Farm Service Agency or NRCS.....Natural Resources Conservation Service.

No difference in letters, still too much BS controlling common sense
When I do dozer and equipment work in the summer, we occasionally build retention ponds and diversion dikes for farmers. Whenever the NRCS is involved, it takes a lot longer, with more BS to get the same job done. Over engineered and over governed on the projects for sure. They waste more time and money…

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FSA, that's it. It used to be ASCS office and I can never remember the new designation.
Yep, you are correct I forgot that.......the ASCS office...... Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service.
I forgot NRCS used to be SCS.....Soil Conservation Service
They change their names as fast as some change underwear

I was talking with a fine lady down at the Illinois Department of Ag asking about "hothouses" She was lost at what I meant. I was not using the new correct term of "high tunnel"

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I do dozer and equipment work in the summer, we occasionally build retention ponds and diversion dikes for farmers. Whenever the NRCS is involved, it takes a lot longer, with more BS to get the same job done. Over engineered and over governed on the projects for sure. They waste more time and money…
I think they are PIA in most places. My father had some knock down drag out arguments with the county director years ago. Dad wanted to do it his way and the director wanted it done his way. In the end it never got done. This was one case where my father was dead wrong and should have let them do it their way.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it were me I’d go in and cut down everything green, let it dry and burn it when it’s rainy and the wind is blowing from the west like usual to keep it from spreading west. But air quality restrictions are tight. That’s going to be the problem no matter what…what to do with what’s ripped out. Chip it? What to do with the chips?

Late to the party, but if you don’t mind me asking-is it long & skinny, and if skinny, how skinny?

I was thinking big dozer with a big root rake.

Just gotta establish a no man’s land that can be maintained by plowing or something in the future.

2.75 miles of it

Root rakes are great for cleaning up, but they get caught on random things in the ground, which you have to get un hung up from, and it just wastes time.

Much less how it feels when you’re rolling a pile in second gear and it grabs a rock instead of sliding over it… Ask me how I know. Straight blade is the way to go for knocking over trees and stumping if you have to use a dozer. Then you put the rake on. If it’s the right size it’ll go right on the push arms/frame for a straight blade😉

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Catbuster it’s mostly long n skinny but a triangle too. 400’-1/4mi wide.

Probably no rocks out there.