Chains: Used Once, Never Sharpened?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
10:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These chains have some wear. They have some life too though. I studied some of the sharpening. I think whoever had them had a pretty good idea what they were looking for. After the square grind they round ground the filler out on some of them but the square edge is still just barely there on the cutting edge. 34” bar Might be a loggers gear. Doesn’t much matter. I’m happy with what I got.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As with any other used purchase: ‘caveat emptor’ (let the buyer beware)!

A good chain grinder is a handy asset for reconditioning any chains. And, like firewood, finding a ‘honey hole’ of a source for used chains with limited wear is a special deal.

Philbert

To your point. If someone knows of a "quality" used chain seller and wouldn't mind sharing their contact, that would be great.
I have no interest in burning a seller by listing them as bad. I prefer to not list a bad seller and list those I would recommend. Just my .02.

Thanks!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To your point. If someone knows of a "quality" used chain seller and wouldn't mind sharing their contact, that would be great.
I have no interest in burning a seller by listing them as bad. I prefer to not list a bad seller and list those I would recommend. Just my .02.

Thanks!
Locally, you can see before you buy (CL, rental dealer, etc.), and is the best way. The distance and anonymity of the Internet can lead to strange practices. One person may have a great experience with a seller, and another not so good. That's what those ratings are for, so please rate sellers and transactions accurately and fairly.

I don't have any recent chain transactions to share; sorry. But you can cover yourself by limiting the $ amount of any purchase, and by using the buyer protection tools of places like Amazon and eBay. Lately, I have been buying a lot of used books on each platform. Got some really good deals. But some books, marked 'next to new', were water-stained, musty, dirty, had bent pages, writing, etc., etc. Clearly misrepresented by the seller. I have no problem leaving poor feedback for them. I understand that some buyers abuse this system to try to get discounts or free stuff: that is why in-person is best.

*EDIT* I should add that buying from members on forums like this, can be a better option than from someone who maybe really does not know chains.

Philbert

Last edited:

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of things keep coming back to me:

- not every saw user is going to be great at sharpening;

This is me, though I'm not getting rid of any loops. And I'll eventually get... well, maybe tolerable, at sharpening.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Work chains, so hopefully the bumpers help it bore smoove.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ground them square into chip sweepers in a 20” chain once. It is fast. 20” isn’t long enough to really get a judgement on clearing chips while felling fibrous trees though.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t hate bumpers. End of life chain. If I’m feeling that way I’ll grind em down. But just the little bumper. Meh. He be smoove
I wonder if rakers can be dropped further to cut faster and still bore well on bumper chain, maybe combined with clipping the heels of the cutters.

@Philbert ?

@afleetcommand bores a lot...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if rakers can be dropped further to cut faster and still bore well on bumper chain, maybe combined with clipping the heels of the cutters.

@Philbert ?
Different styles of bumpers: tie strap (mostly older style) and drive link (newer style).

Note that bumpers were originally intended to reduce vibration in cutting, especially on smaller diameter limbs, by filling in the spaces between cutters. Reduced kick-back was noticed as a side benefit.

The tie strap, bumpers, however, also reduced chip clearance, which was an issue for some, especially on larger diameter logs. Not as big of an issue with depth gauge bumpers.

Lowering depth gauges AND bumpers together, would be expected to result in a more aggressive chain, for any type of cutting, with an increased chance of kickback.

You might create a chain that bores well, but is too aggressive for regular crosscutting.

Philbert

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anywhere sell pieces of roll of new chains? Hankering to start rolling my own with very little as possible invested.