Best and worst advertising for a saw shop

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the most important thing a dealer can do is have some parts on hand. Its rediculous that some dealers will sell you a 1200$ 395xp but have no air filter or zero parts for it o_O LOL. Then you gotta wait a week and half for parts to come in.

Last edited:

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks nice an well organized - much nicer than my local dealer. You have a section for safety gear? Glasses, gloves, hearing protection don't take much space. Maybe a cut pair of chaps to remind customers safety gear is important.?

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Trust me Nate has the parts and products for sale covered. Plus his knowledge and great personalty over the counter is top notch.

Only thing I noticed was location was not where you can see the shop from any main area.

Billboards on your main routes with location might help till you get in the new spot.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really advertising related but here's something that turns me away when ordering stuff. I'll go through and pick out what I need then add to cart and so on. Then when I get to shipping it's as much as what I've ordered. Yesterday I did just this and for two spinner anvils it was $20 dollars shipping.

It was from the West coast and I'm sure if I would have called them they would work with me on shipping but F that I don't have time for that chit. I went to the next site and got what I needed plus another part for less money.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for reference for anyone that hasnt been in my shop.....narrow paths only....but i do a pretty good job of having the parts on hand, most of the time. Anymore stuff and i will be hanging it from the ceiling

View attachment 66517 View attachment 66518 View attachment 66519 View attachment 66520 View attachment 66521
I hate to break it to ya Nate but look up....those black circles everywhere aren't an exotic drop ceiling...that's belts which count as parts already hanging from the ceiling :)
I visited Nate today and he rules, heck he bought me lunch!!! with BACON!!!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the most important thing a dealer can do is have some parts on hand. Its rediculous that some dealers will sell you a 1200$ 395xp but have no air filter or zero parts for it o_O LOL. Then you gotta wait a week and half for parts to come in.

makes sense when you are selling $10k lawnmowers that need air filters too :(

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't even sell 395's and I have air filters for em.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's because you have a great shop! But billboards wouldnt hurt if you are trying for local business, make sure and list the brands that you carry. I find it helpful.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The distances guys will drive to see us actually blows my mind, and we haven't advertised in 15 years. Good service, lots of parts. Just a product of hard work I guess. Kind of simple really, but it's amazing how many dealers can't figure it out.

Now, we've been in business for 25+ years, so we've had plenty of time to cement a good reputation. It doesn't happen overnight, so a guy like Nate has to be patient and not get sidetracked by clowns he may have to compete with. It's amazing how long rotten dealers can stay in business, but trust me Nate, you treat people right and plenty of them will drive past those other dealers on their way to you. :)

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The distances guys will drive to see us actually blows my mind, and we haven't advertised in 15 years. Good service, lots of parts. Just a product of hard work I guess.

Nate, you treat people right and plenty of them will drive past those other dealers on their way to you. :)

TOTALLY TRUE

Having someone you trust, tell you about a shop that they trust, I feel is the most powerful way to get people into your shop.

We advertise for a fireman's picnic my fire dept hosts every year. Three day event with bands, food and beer. We net about $20k per event. The hardest thing to justify spending money on is advertising. I think because it's hard to see the instant payback. We use newspaper adds, posters, t-shirts, and radio adds. The radio is by far the most expensive for what we get but I think it is also the most effective. We also gotten real good friends with the morning show DJ and he will give us plugs for our event on his show for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The distances guys will drive to see us actually blows my mind, and we haven't advertised in 15 years. Good service, lots of parts. Just a product of hard work I guess. Kind of simple really, but it's amazing how many dealers can't figure it out.

Now, we've been in business for 25+ years, so we've had plenty of time to cement a good reputation. It doesn't happen overnight, so a guy like Nate has to be patient and not get sidetracked by clowns he may have to compete with. It's amazing how long rotten dealers can stay in business, but trust me Nate, you treat people right and plenty of them will drive past those other dealers on their way to you. :)

This is the reason I am interested in advertising, it is amazing that people put up with dealers having to order rim sprockets(3 local stihl dealers do not stock rims) and the crooked dealers.....just pains me to see guys dealing with those guys knowing we are better than that even on our worst day and I am sure we could earn those customers business if they only knew we existed.

My record travel time that I am aware of is 6hrs and 1-3 hour rides for people are common and dont even really surprise me anymore.

mikefunaro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I were you, I would have a very basic but informational website with decent search engine optimization. Could also be a facebook page I suppose. But business name, location, brands, hours, phone number.

Like Bob is saying a big part of success overall is how you treat people. I'm one of the guys who drives a long way to see him.

It's also a bit of having your act together. The number of local dealers who either don't have parts in stock, take over a month for a simple repair, have bar and chain oil on sale for $23 a gallon, or act like they're doing you the biggest favor in the world for having a conversation with you is pretty crazy. I've been to plenty of guys who will make you wait for 30 minutes while they are having a conversation about nothing with someone, or who have their wife or some other goon working the parts counter who knows nothing and takes 15 minutes to get you a screw. Another thing--if you repair something and don't repair it correctly. Hustle. I actually had someone do maintenance on a zero turn, screw things up, and then had the nerve to tell me that the tech who worked on my machine was on vacation (IN BELGIUM) and that I had to wait for that guy to come back in order for my machine to be repaired. GTFO.....

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about demo days. Come on and try out the saw of your dreams. Include a maintenance clinic. And free lunch. Maybe even a raffle for a free saw or repair work or something... I know it's a lot of work and free stuff give away but I think you'll get people in your door at least.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What about demo days. Come on and try out the saw of your dreams. Include a maintenance clinic. And free lunch. Maybe even a raffle for a free saw or repair work or something... I know it's a lot of work and free stuff give away but I think you'll get people in your door at least.

I'm hoping his grand new shop opening is something like this for a 3 day weekend deal. hint hint ;)

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm hoping his grand new shop opening is something like this for a 3 day weekend deal. hint hint ;)

And have some ported saws of all sizes there so people can get the whole "he can make my saw do this?" feeling of astonishment.