Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a reason the diesel saws never caught on. The XA stored propane in the handle bar to fuel the flame for the glow plug. The XC used a battery pack. They were an engineering design that simply failed.
They were designs ahead of their time! ;)

Generic cheap supermarket 2-stroke chainsaws and 4-stroke mowers now come with electric starters, as long as You own/buy their brand battery pack.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They were designs ahead of their time! ;)

Generic cheap supermarket 2-stroke chainsaws and 4-stroke mowers now come with electric starters, as long as You own/buy their brand battery pack.
Actually the electric chainsaw preceded the gas chainsaw.

Then the electric start (gas powered) chain saw came along about 58 years ago

I do not have the first Stihl electric saw but I do have some of the McCulloch electric starts. Sadly the battery packs are roasted, as was their demise. I have one I bought from a guy that rigged a lamp cord to it and started it from the truck battery

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That works as well. Seriously though, who wouldn't want a diesel chainsaw? Even as a conversion piece, it's pretty neat.
I have traded to attain many of my oddball chainsaws simply for the uniqueness factor. Some run, some may run, some may never run. I loved taking them to tractor shows, saw GTG's and the conversations that they lead to. Many have an enjoyable story of how I found them or the history behind their design. I can stand all day at a show or auction talking saws and experiences. This one is a new in the crate, Sally Saw that came from and old shop in Millersburg Iowa. My oldest son, who was 10 at the time, was with me the day I bought it at the auction. His eyes got as big as silver dollars as the bidding went up and I was still going. I am not sure where I was going to stop but Dwight the auctioneer knew me and knew what I was after that day. After it was over my son says "Dad, what are you going to tell Mom?" I said "well son, I will say it was a good auction with good deals. If she asks how much I spent of course I will tell her but I sure am not going to volunteer any information". She never asked.

9.jpg1.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have traded to attain many of my oddball chainsaws simply for the uniqueness factor. Some run, some may run, some may never run. I loved taking them to tractor shows, saw GTG's and the conversations that they lead to. Many have an enjoyable story of how I found them or the history behind their design. I can stand all day at a show or auction talking saws and experiences. This one is a new in the crate, Sally Saw that came from and old shop in Millersburg Iowa. My oldest son, who was 10 at the time, was with me the day I bought it at the auction. His eyes got as big as silver dollars as the bidding went up and I was still going. I am not sure where I was going to stop but Dwight the auctioneer knew me and knew what I was after that day. After it was over my son says "Dad, what are you going to tell Mom?" I said "well son, I will say it was a good auction with good deals. If she asks how much I spent of course I will tell her but I sure am not going to volunteer any information". She never asked.

View attachment 420387View attachment 420388
What do you figure is the rarest / coolest piece you have bill?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you figure is the rarest / coolest piece you have bill?
That is a real tough question but in my mind the coolest is the Homelite 770GS....Stickshift. It looks like any of that series of Homelite gear drives but has a two speed transmission. It is a cool saw but not the rarest. I would say the most rare is a Mozwood which again looks common as it is like any typical Power Products saw marketed by a zillion companies but the Mozwood were cast just up the river from me and very few were made. At one point I had the only known one to still exist. Since then Ken Garrison has found one. There are probably a few more out there though.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 420387View attachment 420388

Do you have your saws set in a way you could give tours? I for one would love to look at your collection and listen to your stories. I could collect saws. But I'd settle just to look at them as well.

We had a neighbor that (between him and has dad) collected old tractors, trucks, cars, horse drawn equipment, as well as just old homestead stuff. Stuff from the 1800 up into the 1970s. I always enjoyed getting a tour and hearing the stories. I even had the privilege of driving a 1921 Model T they restored. They have both passed away and it's like a piece of History is lost. Going through their buildings was like going back in time. The family is now selling a lot of the stuff by auction this August.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have your saws set in a way you could give tours? I for one would love to look at your collection and listen to your stories. I could collect saws. But I'd settle just to look at them as well.

We had a neighbor that (between him and has dad) collected old tractors, trucks, cars, horse drawn equipment, as well as just old homestead stuff. Stuff from the 1800 up into the 1970s. I always enjoyed getting a tour and hearing the stories. I even had the privilege of driving a 1921 Model T they restored. They have both passed away and it's like a piece of History is lost. Going through their buildings was like going back in time. The family is now selling a lot of the stuff by auction this August.
Unfortunately my stuff is stored away in sheds, barns and other spots. Not displayed at all :( If you are ever in north central/northeast Iowa stop in to see Mark Heimann in Dike Iowa. He is a member here @heimannm I have not been through there since he moved to the new building but I have met and cut with him at many GTG's and tractor shows. I was at his old place many years ago well before he retired and there is zero clutter! Very meticulous:) If you are into tractors and farm primitives then I challenge anyone to find a bigger and better show that Midwest Old Threshers in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa Labor Day weekend. This coming weekend is their swap meet but the museums are open. If you want to see the old saws running and cutting and swap stories then it is tough to beat Baraboo Wisconsin the third weekend in August. I as well as many other members ran saws there for years. I have not been there in a number of years though. While there drop south to the Rollo Jamison museum in Platteville Wisconsin. Lots to see and do out here in corn country.

Last edited: