Use lithium batteries at 20% to 80% capacity

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say what? I now read that it's best to not fully discharge a lithium-ion battery and to not fully charge it. Now how practical is that! The batteries for my Husqvarna chainsaw are stupid expensive and I bought an older, slower model charger because I read where it will actually prolong the battery life versus using the fast-charge air-cooled charger that I bought with the saw. So, I am trying!

But now, this 20-80 thing. When the saw just quits, does that mean it's 100% expended or does it know to shut off at 20%? As for not fully charging it, you'd have to hang around while it's charging and stop it from charging to 100%! And then, it seems impractical to use the saw at 20-80 because what you want is maximum run time! Sheesh, modern technology sure can be confusing.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Charging and then using electric saws, line trimmers. etc. is a learning experience to say the least. I have also learned to expect the least. Rated performances mean very little.

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
QC80 is ideal for bli 200/300.
If you have to fast charge disconnect when the last light is blinking.
DO not use the battery past its 1st shut off that will damage it.
These ones have the 1500 cycle cells as opposed to the older style 500 cycle batteries.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
QC80 is ideal for bli 200/300.
If you have to fast charge disconnect when the last light is blinking
DO not use the battery past its 1st shut off that will damage it.
These ones have the 1500 cycle cells as opposed to the older style 500 cycle batteries.
Yep, I do now have the QC80.

When my saw battery went dead yesterday, I needed only 2 seconds more to finish for the day and I did run it for 2 seconds more to finish that cut and I was done. So, that was a bad thing? Is that what you're talking about?

So, do you think there is something to this idea of using them only in the 20% to 80% range?

If we don't go beyond 80%, that means the battery runtime is lessened from what we want to get.

I've read this 20-80 thing in a couple of places, bummer!

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes less is more in this case. The 80% charge means the battery will have more cycles, or charges
I did buy a plug in timer to charge my batteries. More important to disconnect the battery than leave it plugged up
after it's charges. Better for lithium batteries if they have 80% charge for storage thane full charge.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just don't use Li-Ion powered OPE equipment!
Easy fix & no worries. 😜

I read an article that says Li-Ion batteries are being pushed onto the brink of self ignition and it is the electronic components keeping them from exploding - once the (usually China made) monitoring electronics fail PRAY!

Even on BL equipment You will notice a performance drop as the battery pack depletes, that is the sudden voltage drop the pack experiences as the cells deplete - stop using the battery immediately.
Also, do not charge the same battery the moment You take it off Your tool!
If You want to use battery powered equipment bite the bullet and buy at least half a dozen batteries. Charge depleted batteries hours later, better yet the next day - I do.

But hey WTF do I know?!
All I know is I have no wish to ever depend on Li-Ion power.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just don't use Li-Ion powered OPE equipment!
Easy fix & no worries. 😜

I read an article that says Li-Ion batteries are being pushed onto the brink of self ignition and it is the electronic components keeping them from exploding - once the (usually China made) monitoring electronics fail PRAY!

Even on BL equipment You will notice a performance drop as the battery pack depletes, that is the sudden voltage drop the pack experiences as the cells deplete - stop using the battery immediately.
Also, do not charge the same battery the moment You take it off Your tool!
If You want to use battery powered equipment bite the bullet and buy at least half a dozen batteries. Charge depleted batteries hours later, better yet the next day - I do.

But hey WTF do I know?!
All I know is I have no wish to ever depend on Li-Ion power.

Wow, you have even added MORE that I have never read! Sheesh, I will need to memorize a list to use this stuff because I have def been doing some bad things.

Lastly, what is "BL equipment?"

I do like battery equipment but also have plenty of ICE stuff.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, you have even added MORE that I have never read! Sheesh, I will need to memorize a list to use this stuff because I have def been doing some bad things.

Lastly, what is "BL equipment?"

I do like battery equipment but also have plenty of ICE stuff.
BL = BrushLess electric motor
As opposed to brushed motor.
A BL motor needs a circuit board to regulate the current, a brushed motor simply takes as much as it needs.
BL will shut down upon being overloaded, brushed will draw more power and keep going.

My UC250D sports an old school brushed motor powered motor, she hauls a$$ big time.

My DUC353 features a BL motor, she is a dud!

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I don't have this many, but I have enough that I bought a pack of these and mounted them to a 2x6. They were going everywhere in the back of the buggy prior to. I usually have 3-4 that are 'up' and a couple needing recharged at any given time. Have 2 new in package 5amp that await the death of one of the others. Bought a couple of the 3 amp on sale and they are not impressive when compared to the 5's. Trying to run OPE equipment with only a battery or two is not ideal in my experience.

1714746864922.png

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have this many, but I have enough that I bought a pack of these and mounted them to a 2x6. They were going everywhere in the back of the buggy prior to. I usually have 3-4 that are 'up' and a couple needing recharged at any given time. Have 2 new in package 5amp that await the death of one of the others. Bought a couple of the 3 amp on sale and they are not impressive when compared to the 5's. Trying to run OPE equipment with only a battery or two is not ideal in my experience.

View attachment 418305
I just now depleted 3 18Volt 3.0Ah packs cutting 4/5th of my yards hedges.
The DUH601 will cut only fresh/young growth, stalls biting into old growth - good old reliable AC powered 600 Watts hedge trimmer will have to come out of storage to actually cut the hedge "back", not today though as it is raining on and off.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just christened a Makita MM4 pole hedge trimmer last week. The tool performed great. Started feeling pretty heavy after 2 hours. Would have preferred 2 cycle but this MM4 is 'run in any direction' so not too bad.