HOMELITE XL2 Auto

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m trying to get a Homelite XL2 auto running. It starts and revs up but then stalls. It still stalls even if I turn the choke back on before it quits. I rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the gas lines, spark plug and fuel filter and still does the same thing. I’m wondering if maybe the coil or the points might be breaking down ? Anyone have any experience with these saws ? I have a couple manuals that Ray Benson was nice enough to send me but I don’t have a parts diagram with part numbers to order anything. Thanks for any help
Steve

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plug is wet after it stalls and I’ve tried a different plug also. I checked the compression and it’s 130 psi. I haven’t checked the reeds or the intake gasket alignment yet but will later today. Do they make an updated coil for this saw that eliminates the points ? Thanks for the help

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have points, they are easily replaced by an Atom or Nova module. NAPA used to carry the Nova brand.

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took the carb off and checked the intake manifold and it needed to be cleaned up. I also took the flywheel off and checked the points gap and it was way off, it wasn’t opening enough. The intake manifold gasket ripped so I need to order a new one before putting it back together.