Worst Chain You Have Seen

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Boy have you open a can of worms. There is a lot worst chains like the one I just replace where half of the cutters were broken off after being sharpen to shivers or the one I ruined years ago cutting through a RR spike which was new but afterwards had no cutters left.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damaged bad, worn chains are one thing I get a laugh at some of the terrible chains that their owner think WILL cut wood. Then they wonder why smoke is coming off the bar.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neighbor told me you can only sharpen a chain 2-3 times then it’s no good because it won’t cut. I asked him how he lowered his rakers. I get a blank look and “What do you mean?” The 84 year old guy that I cut firewood for still cuts a little stuff he finds around the house. One day he asks me to sharpen a chain. He said he tried sharpening it with the grinder but it wouldn’t cut right. Never knew he had a grinder. Took it home and set it up in my grinder. I immediately saw how he tried to sharpen it, with his 4 1/2” angle grinder!:eek: Wish I had taken a pic of that.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the pico i took of my ms180 last time i changed it!! lol

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh it was inexperience of removing a saw that got pinched. I was trying to chop it out when got to close to the chain. At least he missed the new bar. I gave the owner a few pointers on how to remove a stuck saw. like choping an area away from the saw or using a second saw to relieve the pressure. Also advise on how to prevent it in the first place.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw a chain run backwards long enough to wear the chrome off the teeth and start rounding the steel under.

A nice new 42" square skip hit metal, but my quick reflexes and the fact there are so many more teeth that didn't get hit, that I was able to keep cutting. I think that chain hit metal twice that day without ever hurting enough teeth to really slow it down.

DSC08434 (797x598).jpg

DSC08453 (1280x960).jpg

Last edited:

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh it was inexperience of removing a saw that got pinched. I was trying to chop it out when got to close to the chain. At least he missed the new bar. I gave the owner a few pointers on how to remove a stuck saw. like choping an area away from the saw or using a second saw to relieve the pressure. Also advise on how to prevent it in the first place.

or just bang a wedge in to relieve it. History has always had idiots...we just have a lot more of them now and a lot more stuff to help them along.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Damaged bad, worn chains are one thing I get a laugh at some of the terrible chains that their owner think WILL cut wood. Then they wonder why smoke is coming off the bar.
Good stuff...fun days.

Neighbor told me you can only sharpen a chain 2-3 times then it’s no good because it won’t cut. I asked him how he lowered his rakers. I get a blank look and “What do you mean?” The 84 year old guy that I cut firewood for still cuts a little stuff he finds around the house. One day he asks me to sharpen a chain. He said he tried sharpening it with the grinder but it wouldn’t cut right. Never knew he had a grinder. Took it home and set it up in my grinder. I immediately saw how he tried to sharpen it, with his 4 1/2” angle grinder!:eek: Wish I had taken a pic of that.
Duplicate one. Put it on a saw you bring to gtgs. It's always hard to keep a straight face as they walk to the log. You be fine. Kodak moment. Use soap and water for more steam ;)
An ounce of prevention = do it yourself.

Next time there will be pics of my H chains after cutting the bolts in slabs. You lose and bend one tooth as it exits the metal bolts or large spikes. Cut two spikes side by side last year. 3/8" still solid. Started life as 1/2" I'd bet. Beat down the bent up cutters and grind it....next :bash: