Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering if i should..

Back story, this week I scrounged/removed the base of a pretty decent size oak tree, which I found on FB Marketplace. The homeowner informed me of a walnut tree that was to be coming down as well and we agreed I’d clean that up too. Not a very big tree but I’m always thinking about milling. I initially asked him to have the tree guy cut it in 8’ lengths. Well, he messaged earlier, telling me they are dropping it today. I ask for 6’ lengths thinking about moving them out of the way back yard. No plans to mill in this development.

About 1/2 later I get the message that somebody’s dad said that walnut was worth big money. SMH, here we go. I said good luck planning to be done.
Fast forward a bit, will you mill us a bar top in exchange for the rest of the wood?
I’m told, 2 8’ers and 6-7 6’ sections. Base is 21”x17” oval. Here’s the pic I requested.

5D77D865-02B7-420E-A6C4-99FA4F54B724.jpeg

So, wood you take the deal? Tree wasn’t perfectly straight as you can kinda see in the pic. It was backyard woods. I have no reason to believe there lots of metal in it. Not a yard tree.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tall straight non-yard tree with minimal knots and lower branches can bring decent money as veneer logs but everybody with a walnut tree thinks they have a gold mine LOL
Yeah, 20k in this case. :risas3:
A9B79673-4828-47F8-BEBC-76A353D53E1F.png

Thinking this would be a good way to “repay” them for all the wood they gave me. Should be pretty quick to mill, heck that last oak tree went kinda fast and that chit is no joke.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People are so naive when it comes to wood products. That or they think there experts. Sometimes I want to hand them the saw and say you try it out since you know better right? Some guy asked us on our ash salvage roadside job “well what the hell are you gonna do with all the wood”.... well sir ash is in decline if you haven’t noticed :rolleyes:... and it’s worth good money so we are salvaging what we can before it’s all punky and destroyed. Not to mention we are helping a regeneration of a young sugar maple understory that was growing among the ash and black cherry. So maybe one day it actually will be worth something in 20 years or so.

Last edited:

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would skip it, MAYBE one 2" slab and that would be it. They COULD buy the rest at only $3 BF which would be way under their imaged $20+ BF, so, they would literally be stealing it at a bargain price. Then they could try reselling it ...

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would skip it, MAYBE one 2" slab and that would be it. They COULD buy the rest at only $3 BF which would be way under their imaged $20+ BF, so, they would literally be stealing it at a bargain price. Then they could try reselling it ...
I did in fact skip it. I agree with you totally.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did in fact skip it. I agree with you totally.
No big deal. I skipped every backyard walnut tee offered this year so far. No free tree jobs or milling. You agree to pay or I don't show up. Plenty of free logs on the ground or still a stick standing. Skipped all the logs I saw covered in sand on constrution sites this year. It's far easier to buy them and get the big stuff delivered. Months of log moving to do now.