High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Wolf Ridge vs. Eastonmade vs. Brute Force vs.

woodchipper95

Enthusiast
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't posted in years! Recently had my woods logged and have tons of good wood for firewood. Want this post to be as honest as possible. I'm open to suggestions. Looking to spend no more than $15,000. Oil cooler, and auto cycle are a must. Will mostly run a 4 way wedge. I'll be towing a good but too on main roads. So will need a good Axle and tires.

-Have a great Wolf Ridge Dealer near me. But hate that there is no log cradles. I'll be mostly a one man band and want to drop the round and run auto cycle while I grab the next round. Probably get the best service here too. Looking at a loaded 28 HO.

-Eastonmade love them but hate that they are in Canada and those wait times are crazy. Also not a fan of the new engine choice. Love me some Hondas. Looking at a 12-22

-Bruteforce I like the splitter at first glance. Not a ton out there about the. And have heard mixed reviews about customer service. Looking at a 13-24

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Auto cycle is not legal in the USA, you have to make that modification yourself.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, I meant it's not legal to sell that way. Maybe it's just a state by state law. I can't remember when the change took place.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't feel like searching for one. I was told this by a Timberwolf dealer. Their older models used to have the auto split and return. The real hazard comes in when the lever flips back into the splitting direction after popping out of the return direction.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't feel like searching for one. I was told this by a Timberwolf dealer. Their older models used to have the auto split and return. The real hazard comes in when the lever flips back into the splitting direction after popping out of the return direction.

When I was splitter shopping in 2017 Timberwolf told me they don't sell them with auto cycle valves anymore (didn't say anything about being illegal, just a liability thing for them). Wolfe Ridge happily put an auto cycle valve on mine. I'm no hydraulic expert, but I'm not sure how it could ever kick into split after being in return. It'll only go retract if the extend valve is in neutral, so when it drops out of retract, both valves will be in neutral.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen it happen before where the lever popped out of return hard enough to throw it into extend just by the weight of the unmodified lever. The springs and locking mechanisms must have been worn out and weak.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen it happen before where the lever popped out of return hard enough to throw it into extend just by the weight of the unmodified lever. The springs and locking mechanisms must have been worn out and weak.

It sounds like you are talking about a valve that has a detent in forward and and reverse on one lever. The Prince auto cycle valves I've seen have two separate levers. Put them both forward into detent and the ram extends, kicks the forward lever out of detent, into neutral, and then the ram retracts because the other handle is still in detent. Once it gets fully retracted, it kicks that lever back to neutral. With this setup, I don't think there is a way for the valve to extend the ram without someone moving the lever.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I am a little biased, but another vote for A.E. Metalwerx.

Pics were taken when I got it, now has 129 hours on it and two seasons, love it. There are many features that are not obvious, no oil cooler but it is running so cool I added insulation to the tank in the Winter as the tank wouldn't get over 60 degrees and it started in a 45 degree shop.

DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0019.JPG DSCF0020.JPG DSCF0021.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I am a little biased, but another vote for A.E. Metalwerx.

Pics were taken when I got it, now has 129 hours on it and two seasons, love it. There are many features that are not obvious, no oil cooler but it is running so cool I added insulation to the tank in the Winter as the tank wouldn't get over 60 degrees and it started in a 45 degree shop.

View attachment 352381 View attachment 352382 View attachment 352383 View attachment 352384 View attachment 352385

Looks very well built and designed.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be honest with ya, look into the Super Split if you're into speed and efficiency. They pretty much invented the kinetic splitter, I found one on FB Marketplace this past summer and picked it up for a whopping 360 clams and it's been, by far, the best money I've ever spent on a wood processing-related product. Now the one I got is one of their older models and its seen some service and wasnt really cared for over the years, but with a few small parts replaced (tires, actuator lever, return spring, bumper stops, etc) at the total cost of 200 bucks, I can split a metric chit-ton of wood in half the time of my hydraulic.

The SS really shines on straighter-grained wood (forest wood), but still does really well on the gnarlier stuff too. There's a learning curve using it, but it's something to at least consider when looking at wood splitters. The one I have is a 2hp electric, and I've split some ridiculous big stuff with it, with ease.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be honest with ya, look into the Super Split if you're into speed and efficiency. They pretty much invented the kinetic splitter, I found one on FB Marketplace this past summer and picked it up for a whopping 360 clams and it's been, by far, the best money I've ever spent on a wood processing-related product. Now the one I got is one of their older models and its seen some service and wasnt really cared for over the years, but with a few small parts replaced (tires, actuator lever, return spring, bumper stops, etc) at the total cost of 200 bucks, I can split a metric chit-ton of wood in half the time of my hydraulic.

The SS really shines on straighter-grained wood (forest wood), but still does really well on the gnarlier stuff too. There's a learning curve using it, but it's something to at least consider when looking at wood splitters. The one I have is a 2hp electric, and I've split some ridiculous big stuff with it, with ease.

Electric super split was my dream machine before I bought a bigger syrup cooker that can take 36" wood. Still would like to get one eventually for quiet stove wood production.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got mine in the middle of October 2018. This thing sips fuel slower than the Honda did. I’d run through fire & hot coals before I would buy anything else. This thing is absolutely amazing !!!!View attachment 364460
I decided on the Honda GX on my SS HD when I bought it. From everything I’ve read and heard, I would’ve been just as satisfied and save a little coin going the Subaru Robin route. Good to hear it’s Cadillac’n right along.