High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Wireless and wired tach options? Help a new guy out :)

TINYHULK

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone! I’ve been climbing for 3 years and I have a mechanical background so I have began working on my own saws. Since my journey in this community started I have acquired a few saws that are not autotune/mtronic. Most of the tachometer threads I searched on here seem outdated. So I figured I would ask for two simple suggestions.
1. A wireless tach, something compact and reliable. The ability to read 8cyl gas engines would be great but I care more about saw accuracy and convenience. I’ve seen a lot about the fast tach and the holders for them. I couldn’t find anything about the holders other than some of them being home made years back. Does anyone still make a holder or can sell me one?

2. And lastly, what is a reliable wired option. Something that would mount well to a chainsaw for that “cool and convenient” factor of always knowing where my rpm is. I hate making permanent holes in anything so it would have to either be a very nice product or I would just use some really good 2 sided tape.

Thank you all for your help!

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bohisen Digital Chainsaw Tachometer Tach Gauge Digital Display Pulse Speedometer for Gesture Induction Chain Saw Cropper Generator Lawn Mower RV ATV Dirt Bike Motocross Boat Tractor

Has a replaceable battery, seems pretty accurate, supposedly can do 8 cyl, and you can use it wired or wireless. I have used it wired on a Murray riding mower to tune it and wireless on a chainsaw.

I bought it Oct 22, 2022 and it is still working.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Proline Solo, Fast tach, Oppama, cheap one off Amazon.

The cheap ones are nice because they are cheap and function as an hour meter nonetheless. Proline Solo isn’t a lot more and it is small and well regarded. Take note of the different refresh times. You want faster rather than slower.

I chose the DTI TT-20K. It has a replaceable battery. It isn’t small though.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone! I’ve been climbing for 3 years and I have a mechanical background so I have began working on my own saws. Since my journey in this community started I have acquired a few saws that are not autotune/mtronic. Most of the tachometer threads I searched on here seem outdated. So I figured I would ask for two simple suggestions.
1. A wireless tach, something compact and reliable. The ability to read 8cyl gas engines would be great but I care more about saw accuracy and convenience. I’ve seen a lot about the fast tach and the holders for them. I couldn’t find anything about the holders other than some of them being home made years back. Does anyone still make a holder or can sell me one?

2. And lastly, what is a reliable wired option. Something that would mount well to a chainsaw for that “cool and convenient” factor of always knowing where my rpm is. I hate making permanent holes in anything so it would have to either be a very nice product or I would just use some really good 2 sided tape.

I run a Fast-Tach wireless unit. I also wish I had a mount for it, but it isn't too difficult to hold it in a good position while cutting.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the cheapest POS $10 tach off eBay. It works ....but it must be a 4stroke tach...have to double the reading(x2) to get true RPMs..

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 366497
I’ve had reliable service for years out of my DTi-20k. I especially like the max rpm memory function.
this is the one i have too. its great can be wire or wireless. i dont know if it will do a v8 because i havent tried but i dont see why not if you clipped the wire to one of the plugs

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-multi-function-tach-hour-meter-p

I can just get the lead close to the plug wire on the saw and it picks up. They used to be priced even cheaper, but $20 is still just chump change. I've been using them on the motos for years as hour meters, they hold up well.
You can easily turn this into a wireless tach .
I did so with mine,and it works great!
You will only need two stripes of aluminium tape ( wide as the tachs thickness and as long as needed to wrap around the tach housing ) .
Wrap with the first piece of aluminium tape the tach housing,
starting at where the cable exits the housing ,along the tach's perimeter and finishing again at the other end of the cable exiting
the housing .
Push the cable inside the housing until it makes a loop inside the housing .Cut off the rest of the cable leaving about 1cm ( half inch )
exiting the housing .Remove the isolation of the cable sticking out of the tach housing until you reach the bare copper wire .Place the bare copper wire(s) ( can be two ,but they are both soldered at the same pad on the circuit board ) so to touch the aluminium tape.Wrap around ( over the first strip of tape )with the second strip ,making sure that you have sandwiched the bare sensor wire in between .Voila! The tach now is wireless !
As a final step,you may wrap around a strip of duct tape for protecting the aluminium tape wraps.

Those tachs are picking the spark plug high voltage in a capacitative way ( and not inductive as they are most often advertised ) ,using a MOSFET transistor as the pick up sensor. By attaching the pick up wire into a loop of aluminium tape ,the capacitance is increased ,acting like a "pick up antenna ".
You will notice also that the readings will become more stable also .

625E5F93-93B7-4717-BCE7-60E5666A334B.jpeg
( You may have to carefully pry open the back cover-it's glued- with a small flat screwdriver .This way you can replace the "non-replaceable" -LOL! - CR2450 battery ,when needed. )

B332F546-6977-4BFF-B5DB-A2DDDD2222AE.jpeg

11751561-02D6-4EB0-9B83-5E0628C8597D.jpeg

Last edited:

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the cheapest POS $10 tach off eBay. It works ....but it must be a 4stroke tach...have to double the reading(x2) to get true RPMs..
Most probably there's a setting for two stroke engines,too .
If it has two buttons ( "RST" or "S2" and "MODE" or "S1" ) ,then if you hold the "S1" /" MODE" button for 4 sec , until "01" will start flashing on the screen .Hold again for few secs until "02" will show up.
Leave it there to set itself.
Now it is ready for operation with two stroke engines.

A151566B-94A5-436E-BFA7-A14A63B190E3.jpeg
( 1P1R /" 1 stroke per cylinder is the 2T engine mode.The other two
modes - 01 & 03 - are for 4T engines.)

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using an Electronic Specialties EZ Tach 328 for several years and it's great. I broke the alligator clip lead and the company sent me a new one for free no questions asked!

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The whole circuitry regarding various brands or "no-name" electronic tachometers are almost the same .No matter if it is an expensive or cheap one .
The only difference that matters is
their refresh rates .For chainsaws anything that has a refresh rate of 1Hz or above will do.

( 1Hz refresh rate = One value refresh per second ,
2 Hz = two times value refresh per second = one refresh per 500msec and so on )

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can easily turn this into a wireless tach .
I did so with mine,and it works great!
You will only need two stripes of aluminium tape ( wide as the tachs thickness and as long as needed to wrap around the tach housing ) .
Wrap with the first piece of aluminium tape the tach housing,
starting at where the cable exits the housing ,along the tach's perimeter and finishing again at the other end of the cable exiting
the housing .
Push the cable inside the housing until it makes a loop inside the housing .Cut off the rest of the cable leaving about 1cm ( half inch )
exiting the housing .Remove the isolation of the cable sticking out of the tach housing until you reach the bare copper wire .Place the bare copper wire(s) ( can be two ,but they are both soldered at the same pad on the circuit board ) so to touch the aluminium tape.Wrap around ( over the first strip of tape )with the second strip ,making sure that you have sandwiched the bare sensor wire in between .Voila! The tach now is wireless !
As a final step,you may wrap around a strip of duct tape for protecting the aluminium tape wraps.

Those tachs are picking the spark plug high voltage in a capacitative way ( and not inductive as they are most often advertised ) ,using a MOSFET transistor as the pick up sensor. By attaching the pick up wire into a loop of aluminium tape ,the capacitance is increased ,acting like a "pick up antenna ".
You will notice also that the readings will become more stable also .

View attachment 368888
( You may have to carefully pry open the back cover-it's glued- with a small flat screwdriver .This way you can replace the "non-replaceable" -LOL! - CR2450 battery ,when needed. )

View attachment 368889

View attachment 368890
Very cool modification. 😎 I appreciate you sharing this and the instruction/settings...no wires! No math! Good stuff 😁👍

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool modification. 😎 I appreciate you sharing this and the instruction/settings...no wires! No math! Good stuff 😁👍
Did it work for you ?
I mean does your tach now measures the correct rpms ?

As a side note to the OP ,the best and strongest holding double-sided tape I've used so far is the
transparent PU "gel" tape.And is
reusable as well ,after washing it with plain water.

Last edited:

TINYHULK

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did it work for you ?
I mean does your tach now measures the correct rpms ?

As a side note to the OP ,the best and strongest holding double-sided tape I've used so far is the
transparent PU "gel" tape.And is
reusable as well ,after washing it with plain water.

That’s pretty neat! I have the 3M heavy duty 30lb double sided tape now. The website amuses me “made-in-china” lol. Just got my ported 2512 from huskihl and I dyed it black and got a 1/4 pitch 12in bar for it. I haven’t got another echo sticker for the flywheel but I think it’s kinda cool without it. I was thinking about finding a tach I could mount to that sticker location

Attachments

• F2701142-A2BA-4374-8BDB-C43DBCD9FD06.jpeg
    F2701142-A2BA-4374-8BDB-C43DBCD9FD06.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B74F7F92-0D55-43EE-9B2E-64A1610BEA9B.jpeg
    B74F7F92-0D55-43EE-9B2E-64A1610BEA9B.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 2

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I bought the proline solo. It has a pretty quick refresh rate. I suppose a con is the sealed in battery? I won't know till it dies. Simple unit. Water proof. I use it as an Indictive just for saws. I like it. It's very small. I made a paracord lanyard to help hold it/find it lol. For just under 50$ shipped, I'm pleased.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the proline solo. It has a pretty quick refresh rate. I suppose a con is the sealed in battery? I won't know till it dies. Simple unit. Water proof. I use it as an Indictive just for saws. I like it. It's very small. I made a paracord lanyard to help hold it/find it lol. For just under 50$ shipped, I'm pleased.
They are nice. Really fast refresh rate. They look like the Stihl models. Makes me wonder if they are the same manufacturer. I’ve never held a Stihl tach though.