High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Wild morning short day.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Mike had called me and said we could go out for a bit on Wednesday to hunt. Mainly we are going to check the fur on any coyotes we take to make sure the hair is holding. Shedding coyote fur doesn’t sell.

I had also gotten a request on a hunting gun forum I belong to to call a guy and ask permission to hunt his place. The fellow who contacted me lives on a small plot a acre or so. Has hunting property in Michigans UP and no desire to attain more here in the lower.

But he has been hearing goodly number of coyotes in the area for a week.

I made the call and mister Dick Anderson said would be great to have some coyote hunters come and thin the population some.

Told me his farm is along the shiawasse river East of Corunna Michigan a lot of brushy wooded area. Plants several acres of wild life corn and beans for the DNR every year and does a lot of hay and winter wheat so the geese flock to the property all fall, winter and spring

I picked Mike up at 6:30 and headed that way. I had talked to Mister Anderson for some time so had a good Idea of the farms lay out. I had been told that there were some round bales of hay in a fence line about 250 yards from the biggest patch of woods along the river.

That is where Mike and I worked our way to once we arrived at the farm and for now parked along side the big tool shed.

We got set up Mike did the Challenge sound and the woods lit up for a long ways up and down the river. I believe the largest group of coyotes I have ever heard. I started wishing that Carol was with us or even Dean with his auto loader.

Mike and I had discussed the female in heat sound probably not going to work so well with as warm as it has been. So I do the piglet distress sound, took about 5 minutes for the first 3 coyotes to show and was mighty nice of them to be straight in front between Mike and I. I signed Mike to give the fire sign, was about to think he had not under stood me when he gave me the sign. The coyotes were about 10 yards from the decoys when we fired. Racked the bolt and got on the 3d coyote and fired but it had not stoped a the yipping sound from the caller and I missed but Mike didn’t.

About 15 minutes later two more showed up both lay still in the field when the echos of gun fire stopped. Not bad 5 coyotes from one stand and we were not finished, Mike was getting return barks to his challenges still. We sat on stand a full hour and had got 2 more coyotes before they stopped answering the challenge sound.

We wrap two coyotes to a plastic sheet then drug them back to the truck loaded them stripped down from our camo as it was starting to get warm for dragging, walk back for the second load had just got them wrapped two to one sheet and 3 to the other which we would trade off dragging. We had just started back and we see a Gator coming across the field pulls up near us and ask if we had any cargo for the rear. We loaded them and climbed aboard and rode to the truck.

Other than the question is we had any cargo Mister Anderson had not said a word till we arrived back at the truck and loaded the coyotes in 4 males and 3 females. He said see you fellows found your way to the hay bales and found a couple coyotes, good job.

Said he allows a few fellows to deer hunt the place during deer season and didn’t under stand why none were coming back for coyotes, they had reported seeing while deer hunting.

Why don’t I take you fellows on a tour of the place so you can pick out a few places to set up depending on the wind in the future.

By the way go ahead and keep parking there as your well out of the way.

After he had shown us around we go the the truck and he asked about when we would be back? Told him if he kept hearing a bunch of coyotes we could come back this week end but normally we wait 3 to 4 weeks.

Told him to call me, he asked if it was me or Mike he had talked to on the phone and he said I sounded a lot younger on the phone.

We thanked him for giving us permission to hunt his farm and told him there were a group of us 6 more who may show up from time to time and they’re good decent people. But if they break any of our rules to call and they would not show up as part of the group. Park where told to, shut gates found shut, leave no trash including rifle brass, and tearing up fields driving on them when soft.

We finished up and we decided to call it a day right then as there were coyotes to skin and process and we had a very good morning. Fur was still tight on those coyotes but I am sure with the night temps in the 30’s and day time mid to high 40’s and more. It won’t be long.

On the way to Mikes he said Carol had shot the reloads he had put together with my recipe and is excited to try them on coyotes.

Said she has shot several groups with at least two bullets going thru the same hole.

Said he was so impressed he had went gun shopping Monday and had bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 243 Monday. Got it home and disassembled it, then Tuesday called, then drove it down to Mag Na Porting.

:D Al

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What is this mag na porting you keep talking about. I'm not really familiar with to much on rifles

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More famous for reduceing recoil in Magum pistols but do rifles and shot guns also. I had my winchester 300 Mag done and it recoils about equal to my 243. Carols 243 recoils like a 22lr.
https://magnaport.com/company.html

https://magnaport.com/misc.html

this one shows a rifle and explains it.
https://magnaport.com/rifle.html

I don't care for muzzle brakes on rifles.
Our sportsman club even has special day for people with rifles with brakes to shoot so they don't disturb other shooters with the side blast and noise.

Wednesday afternoon from 3:00PM to closeing and Saturday morning from opening till noon.
Opening time changes with winter hours.

bowtechmadman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang I think exciting morning is a bit of an understatement. I'm guessing the deer hunting will improve there also.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s crazy to get that many on one stand. Makes me want to get out and dust my old caller off.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I my self do not under stand why all deer hunters are not trying the thin the coyote population.

But I suppose if they stay on the couch whineing about the cold, the wet, the mud, the snow and how far they have to walk across a farmers field. They are not out educationing coyotes, calling them immediately stopping and leaveing, scareing slinking coyotes trying to wind them, or what is making the GAWD AWFUL rabbit in distress sound.
That sound is so over used we rarely use it.

Last year we went to a farm that butted up againest a state game area, we heard this awful loud screaming noise, we later decided was a Rabbit in distress call used wrong.

We got back to where we were going to do our set and debaited just leaving when the guys on the state game area announced to each other no coyotes here should just leave and try some place else.
We used out piglet in distress sound and had 2 coyotes come to the sound and decoys.

Most people it seems decide to hunt coyotes, do not know their habits, do not have any idea how to use a mouth rabbit in distress sound (the cheapest call and found at Walmart even.)
or a Howler call another one you can find at Walmart.

With the day of the internet finding out how coyotes slink and try to work the wind People seem not to use the information.

So may Youtubes on how to use mouth calls, camo and suck and they seem not to watch to learn.

There is a learning curve I feel. I was having no luck my self. Hooked up with a group of Michigan UP coyote hunters to learn and still took me 5 years to call in a coyote with a rabbit in distress mouth call on my own.

Last edited:

bowtechmadman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never hunted coyotes, shot one while deer hunting is all. I would imagine takes a great deal of knowledge/experience to be successful with hunting them.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just need a few places to hunt them. Some knowledge of how they like to sneek in. A couple calls and and know how to use them and not try to blast the coyotes from the woods with volume.

Be silent going in while on a set, in other word shut yu flap trap. If your hunting with a partner work out signs like we have.
Most are from the ASL sight.

Don't expect success right off the git go like I said there is a learn curve find what works for you.

Watch some eastern coyote hunting youtubes... Western is different they have wider open places with coyotes sneeking thru sage and such.

Last edited:

bowtechmadman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks...just may give it a try. Sounds much the same as turkey/deer.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
LOL for me the deer is because I don't settle for the little guys. I passed so many spikes, 3 points and 4 points this year it isn't funny. Even into black powder season I passed them up so should be a good number of 8 point and better next fall.

I haven't been turkey hinting in many a year now. got my last one with a bow from a tree stand like bow hunting for deer north of Evart Mi.

I feel the state should now do over the counter turkey permits in Michigan.
If they still want to do drawings then do it with the out of state applcations.

Last edited: