Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandson's buddy got a 02 KX250 that is locked up. The jug seems ok......needs a piston. The rod bearing is done.....and the mains are stuck. Do any of y'all rebuild these things? I'd love to send this thing to someone for a rebuild for him.

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of the 250s a few bigger ones. Lost access to the press for the cranks so no go anymore. But if you say the rod ends done then it will probably be cheaper to stuff a new crank in it

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandson's buddy got a 02 KX250 that is locked up. The jug seems ok......needs a piston. The rod bearing is done.....and the mains are stuck. Do any of y'all rebuild these things? I'd love to send this thing to someone for a rebuild for him.
Not that much different than a saw motor boss. Pull it out,set it on the bench and go to town boss. I've done several through the years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to do a lot of the 250s a few bigger ones. Lost access to the press for the cranks so no go anymore. But if you say the rod ends done then it will probably be cheaper to stuff a new crank in it

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

That's what I figured.

Not that much different than a saw motor boss. Pull it out,set it on the bench and go to town boss. I've done several through the years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have any problem splitting it.....and going thru it. But I've got no time.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I do them, but the cranks are not worth repairing. A new crank kit bearings and seals will add up. Depending if you go with OEM parts or not, even if you go aftermarket you’re probably looking at close to $600 for parts

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I do them, but the cranks are not worth repairing. A new crank kit bearings and seals will add up. Depending if you go with OEM parts or not, even if you go aftermarket you’re probably looking at close to $600 for parts

Spot on for what I'm seeing on prices. Anything we need to think about as far as special tools for splitting the case? I've got everything for saws......but not much for bike engines.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spot on for what I'm seeing on prices. Anything we need to think about as far as special tools for splitting the case? I've got everything for saws......but not much for bike engines.
I highly recommend getting a case splitter and crank installer, they aren’t that expensive. You can get them through Rocky Mountain ATVMC, under the Tusk brand. That’s really the only specialty tools you need, it’s nice having the clutch basket holder tooD6B6DD34-98B7-476F-9157-241720D31890.jpeg3787784E-FBF8-4FF0-9CDF-C6AFABDA3D39.jpegimage.jpg
They’re just like a big saw that has a transmission and power valve! LOL you can do it

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I highly recommend getting a case splitter and crank installer, they aren’t that expensive. You can get them through Rocky Mountain ATVMC, under the Tusk brand. That’s really the only specialty tools you need, it’s nice having the clutch basket holder tooView attachment 246968View attachment 246969View attachment 246970
They’re just like a big saw that has a transmission and power valve! LOL you can do it
I appreciate this.

We split a Yamaha of Bubba's.....but parts are damn hard to find for it. It was no trouble.....

Looks like Bubba is gonna wind up trading Blake out of this bike, so that means I gotta do it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don’t like the hot rod and main bearings, the Kranks are fine but I like to use OEM main bearings and seals.On the piston I would only use OEM or Wiseco, I do not like the pro X pistons or namira.
Look over the cylinder really well, Kawasaki has extremely thin plating, it is very common to have the plating worn through at the top of the cylinder where the rings park at TDC

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don’t like the hot rod and main bearings, the Kranks are fine but I like to use OEM main bearings and seals.On the piston I would only use OEM or Wiseco, I do not like the pro X pistons or namira.
Look over the cylinder really well, Kawasaki has extremely thin plating, it is very common to have the plating worn through at the top of the cylinder where the rings park at TDC

Excellent information sir. Thank you. I'm hoping to talk him out of trading for this bike. He'd end up with 1500.00 - 2000.00 in it.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent information sir. Thank you. I'm hoping to talk him out of trading for this bike. He'd end up with 1500.00 - 2000.00 in it.
If the motors in that bad of shape then the rest of the bike will need much love also. Iff'n the boy has to have it ship it north, I'll build it for you.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plus if it has KIPS, you'll want to rebuild that too.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the motors in that bad of shape then the rest of the bike will need much love also. Iff'n the boy has to have it ship it north, I'll build it for you.

I'm trying to get it outta here. LOL

Plus if it has KIPS, you'll want to rebuild that too.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

It does.