High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What's the current state of the Husky 562XP?

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went in to my local Husqvarna shop to order a new 562, and was STRONGLY discouraged from that particular model. The sales guy took a fair amount of time to explain the problems he's seen coming through his service department. One saw had new crank seals installed, and a new base gasket, but still was having issues.

On the other hand, I see Walt and Bob's videos talking about how great the new (and even the junk pile builds) are, so I'm confused. Is this a case of (like Walt talked about concerning 372 crank bearings) that he's 'the guy' for diagnosing issues so he sees a disproportionate amount of them? Does Husky still have a problem with 562s?

He was trying to sell me a 572, which wouldn't be bad, but even a 60cc saw is probably more than what I need.

Thanks!

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure some folks with first hand experience with the 2020 & newer 562's will come along, but I have heard that Husky has addressed the problems that plagued the earlier 562's. The 572 is a very nice saw too, and can be turned into a sweet firewood making machine with a lightweight 20" bar and 8 pin sprocket.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have limited experience running and repairing 562 (maybe 10-12 over the last 5 years) but I’m happy to share what I have seen.

The original edition had a lot of changes to the carb and had overheating issues. The Auto-tune system wasn’t debugged at that point. Also, the early 5-series saws had lots of issues with quality control. The plating was suspect on some cylinders, poor installation of parts at the factory (bearings, seals, wiring, intake) and lots of air leaks.

The saws have improved steadily. I think the Auto-tune system is fairly reliable now. They overheat less (but I still have problems there) and the last few I have taken apart seemed to be put together properly.

But there is still a quality control issue and I would guess 1 in 500 5series saws has some sort of flaw from the factory. On the newest ones I have seen leaky transfer tunnels and overheat/vaporlock issues. One cross threaded spark plug that looked factory, but could have been the user. At lower elevations and cooler temperatures they seem pretty good now.

Personally, I would far prefer a 572. I haven’t met a 60cc saw yet that I am keen on. That said, if you’re set on 60cc 357, 359 or 562 is what I would recommend.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went in to my local Husqvarna shop to order a new 562, and was STRONGLY discouraged from that particular model. The sales guy ... was trying to sell me a 572, which wouldn't be bad, but even a 60cc saw is probably more than what I need.
If that's the case and depending on your intended use, what does the local shop say about the 550 XP Mark II? Smallest saw that will get the job done is how I've heard it.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a 2019 562, it had a sticky valve in the carb that was replaced under warranty and I've run the piss out of it since then with no issues. I like the updated filter you get on the 2020's and I'd feel no qualms about buying a new one. It is my go-to saw and all the people who have run it, ranging from family to retired loggers, have said they like it and would buy one if they needed a new saw.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut pin oak with my good friend's Husky 562 and a 24" bar for three hours and had no problems with it at all. Here's a Pic:
upload_2021-5-11_14-45-50.jpeg
I had to noodle cut all these rounds into halves and a few into quarters to load them, even though the wood was dry. August temp was pushing 100 F. I went through about four tanks of fuel. Saw performed very well -- A+.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that's the case and depending on your intended use, what does the local shop say about the 550 XP Mark II? Smallest saw that will get the job done is how I've heard it.

I'm pretty well stocked up on large mount Husky bars. 550s are small mount, correct?

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, 550 and 555 are small mount. 562 is the large mount.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the way they run don’t get me wrong, but after owning a couple 562’s and dealing with the hot start issues... I’ll never own another until they implement the heat control measures they have on the 550 mk2 and 572xp. Those two models hold up well in my experiences. That said, the newest versions of the 562 seem to have fixed a lot of the potential issues the older ones had. Especially the filtration sealing and improved software/carburetors.

Last edited:

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 2014 562 and just bought a new 2020 one. 500 or so trouble free hours on the original. It was occasionally a bit temperamental restarting in hot weather, after a short break where it was neither hot nor cold, but fast idle would usually do it. Never an issue in cold weather or first start of the day. I rolled a log over it last fall, and broke the tank, hence the new saw. I rebuilt it this spring and it is my backup. Original crank seals and bearings. Still tight. My son has a 2018 that has 300+ hours on it. His has never shown any hot start issues.

My 2020 model cut 60 cords in 4 weeks this spring. Unlike the 2014, once started it never takes fast idle to start. Other than that, Cuts exactly the same, just newer. I have not run it on a hot day yet. Haven’t had one this year.

Auto tune rocks. Start it, run it. No dicking around. Hot, cold, hardwood, softwood, limbing, ripping. Just start and go. I’m done with tuning saws.

If I had to buy another saw tomorrow, would be another 562. Perfect power to weight ratio and balance for what I do. 75 acre wood lot, heat with wood, 60-100 cord firewood for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 562 has been pretty reliable.
I have had the hot start issues though when it’s really hot out. I have come to the conclusion that the case is too close to the fuel line and yes the saw does get hot in hot weather.

I have insulated my fuel line and I taped off the air injection port to allow more air to flow over the fins.
I have not tried these two mods out yet cause we just finished winter and they were done in October or so. Since then it hasn’t been hot enough and I have had no problems.
There is another tip of advice that I was told in which the idle circuit and impulse hole may be slightly to small. Combine that with a high pop off pressure and hot starts happen cause it’s not getting enough fuel when the saw is too hot. So I have been told....

anywho the 562 data is ongoing here with no actual fix to hot starts addressed.
I am curious to hear what the porting guys here who have done this saw has to say about hot starts?

I also find it interesting that afleetcommand on his channel has said that he hasn’t seen any hot start problems on his bench.. he fixes and deals with a lot of 562’s so if he hasn’t seen it he probably isn’t testing them all thoroughly? Not trying to stir the pot but there is an absolute issue with hot starts and this saw and many forum members here have chimed up about it in another thread. So that tells me that it’s not an isolated problem and it can be said logically that this issue has probably shown itself upon many owners across the country.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Hot start problems are a result of the Tank ventilation that goes to the Airfilter, IMHO. But, theres a Husqvarna Rebuild Ventilations Kit out there, that fix's the Problem. Than the Tank Ventilation goes out to the Air and no more to the Airfilter.

New saws should have no more this Problem.

I run a 560 from 2013 with this Rebuild Kit. No Hot Start Problems, Ported Saw, runs very good, i would buy another one.

Last edited:

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure seems like a crap shoot. Some guys get dead reliable ones and others not so much.

Have you thought of jumping brands?

I dunno about 'jumping'. At some point I'm likely to pick up an MS400 or MS462. But that's a little more saw that what I need right now. And I already have Husky bars.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw in a hot enough environment will have hot start problems. OTOH, I've read enough reports where guys are standing on their heads and McGyver-ing their 562xp's to deal with this issue. So if the local shop recommends against a certain model, I'd say steer clear of it and get the model that the shop feels it can stand behind, sooner or later.

Last edited:

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will note that my 2014 has an EL48 carb, as does my sons saw.
My 2014 does not have the extra cutout in the cover (and while I have experienced some hot starts issues, they have not been enough of an issue for me to spend the 10 mins to cut one).My sons 2018 does and it has never had an issue. He cuts all summer long. Saw has seen plenty of hot days. We both upgraded to the new air box and filter, so will see if that affects things

The 2020 saw has a different model carb. As I said before, I won’t know how it does in hot weather until we get some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk