High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What's the consensus on Meteor Pin Clips?

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a new Meteor piston for a 562XP I'm putting together and I'm not sure whether or not the pin circlips are a safe bet or not. I have some used OEM circlips and the ones that came with the Meteor. Any thoughts on which I should go with?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
seems like ive seen a couple different types. if they are the type with two big ears, ive heard they can fatigue and the ear can break off. i think guys trim them down. if the used oem ones fit tight in the groove in the meteor piston, id probly end up using those.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought one also and it had the Stihl style c clips with no ears. I wouldn’t use them if they have the big round ears on them. By the time you clip a lot of the ear off, there’s a pretty good gap once it’s installed. If they have the ears and are the same wire diameter as OEM, I’d use OEM. And don’t bend them when you put them in

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No ears on the Meteor ones, just a regular "C" shape. The OEM ones have an ear on one side, kinda a "G" shape.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No ears on the Meteor ones, just a regular "C" shape. The OEM ones have an ear on one side, kinda a "G" shape.
I don't use those ones coz I'm too dumb to work out how I might remove them from a piston with no access relief cast into it.
OEM G all the way for me.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use those ones coz I'm too dumb to work out how I might remove them from a piston with no access relief cast into it.
OEM G all the way for me.
If there is no ear on the clip, the piston made for it should have a notch where you can pry it out with a pick. Like you said, it’s no fun getting one out that doesn’t have an ear on it with no notch

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If there is no ear on the clip, the piston made for it should have a notch where you can pry it out with a pick. Like you said, it’s no fun getting one out that doesn’t have an ear on it with no notch

There is a notch in the piston to remove the clip.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used dozens of Meteor clips (non-eared) and have had no issues, yet. Put the opening at 12 and move the pin back and forth a few times. I also put them in carefully without bending. I just picked up the Stihl 10mm install tool but before that I used a grooved screwdriver.
I do not use Hyway or other AM clips.
I’ve only used eared clips on a Husky 262. They have a half dozen tanks so far and are still intact. I had no choice on that one so I went with it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had zero issues with meteor clips other than the install. They are stiffer than OEM in most cases and a *b-word to install.

Many times they are heavier gauge than oem and the way the ends are cut on the “C” style one tends to be at a different angle than the oem clips.

Meteor are quality pistons that come with quality accessory parts IMHO. The groove sizes/ clip sizes and pin lengths can vary vs OEM. The only thing I find that I don’t use is their pins. They are generally much heavier than OEM pins. Sometimes an OEM pin needs to be shortened to fit into a meteor slug.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there is a simple solution for those who can tune the carburetor during cutting, i.e. if you do not turn the max. rotation, the piston pin protection will not fall out

Reactions: Lnk

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it must also be added that there are saws who turn max. rotation even without a chain.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it must also be added that there are saws who turn max. rotation even without a chain.
Are you saying to not tune for Max rpm? That makes sense as I only care about rpm in the cut, I don't care what it revs to no load.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
check it, no clip has fallen out, neither used nor Chinese

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had one Meteor and 2 Hyway clips fail. The first Hyway I clipped the ears off. Not recommended. The other two seemed fine. I would guess the OEM clips are okay as long as you were careful removing them. New OEM clips don’t cost much if you really want peace of mind.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The meteor piston I just installed came with the big eared clips and I used them. I haven't heard much of any real issues, just internet hearsay. Hope that comment doesn't bite my ass later.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The meteor piston I just installed came with the big eared clips and I used them. I haven't heard much of any real issues, just internet hearsay. Hope that comment doesn't bite my ass later.
I started using the clips on most saws that come with Meteor pistons after loosing a used OEM clip that I installed in their piston and it destroyed a nice 670, bent crank, busted crankcase and the cylinder was trash. I think if I had used new clips would have been ok, lesson learned.

KIMG2847.JPG

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ronie - DAng! that's tough to look at. I almost didn't use them because they are so different looking. In the end I decided meteor knows more than I do so I put them in, ha.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've reused carefully removed oem clips rather than use those big eared clips..

like most things we try… you learn the hard way ie China big eared clips—- looked like meteor big ear clips—. Clip those China ears off & clip those meteor ears off, then when one fails ? What was it..?
Dam just stick with oem ..and be careful ;)

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've reused carefully removed oem clips rather than use those big eared clips..

like most things we try… you learn the hard way ie China big eared clips—- looked like meteor big ear clips—. Clip those China ears off & clip those meteor ears off, then when one fails ? What was it..?
Dam just stick with oem ..and be careful ;)
You just have to be careful and check to see if the OEM one are the same diameter, on the 360 I just finished ,the OEM ones where thinner and you could spin them around the Meteor grove easily.

Edit: talking about the wire diameter.

Last edited:

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, it seems that new pistons come with big nasty ears.
When i recieved mine in a black/green box with ears on clips i thought i got fake one, but everything checks out on their web page