What trimmer line do you use?

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I mow a few properties and am wanting to know what the best trimmer line is. I have a fair amount of chain link fence and a lot of flower gardens with brick pavers as edging so I go through line pretty quickly. Right now I am using off brand star shaped line and it works decent just curious if there is anything out there that would be better.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me the best and quietest line is any of the twisted lines. I'm currently finishing a spool of Oregon platinum supertwist gatorline and have a 5lb spool of Desert Extrusion Vortex line on deck. I've used the vortex line in the past and been very pleased.

Also, the twisted lines cut through the air easier which gives you a little bit more cutting speed and less wear and tear on your equipment.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What ever is cheap round and between 1.6-2.4mm. Hate square, diamond or any other stupid shapes. China stuff is fine, I think 3mm+ line is false economy.... can't get much on spool, its annoying & not necessary for the work I do with grass. I have a clearing saw with blades etc for serious weeds and stuff.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You'll like it. It's some tough line.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you trim around plants/small trees thick line can do damage fast and no customer wants ring barked trees/shrubs. What you intend to mainly cut with your trimmer should be the basis of the line size/type you select. The smaller the diameter of line the more ft of it you get per roll when you buy it. You pay for weight not length. The line market is competitive and many makers try to separate themselves from the pack feeding you all sorts of BS marketing on the pack to justify a higher price. I have tried many of them and at the end of the day nylon is nylon. Some shapes do cut better with sharp edges like square/diamond but they cause drag andake noise and don't come off the trimmer head spool as well sometimes jamming up. Whatever you choose buy supple stuff and if its not and kinda dry....soak it overnight in a bucket of water to make it nice again.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just changed from Ugly Line to Stihl X line. It nearly doubled my yardage per tank during normal trimming. It blows thru high grass easily. And it takes out berries and Hollyhock saplings fast. Both are good lines but I can buy a 223' roll of .105 X Line for 15 bucks. It's cheaper per foot than the Ugly Line here and cuts faster.And is just as tough.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just changed from Ugly Line to Stihl X line. It nearly doubled my yardage per tank during normal trimming. It blows thru high grass easily. And it takes out berries and Hollyhock saplings fast. Both are good lines but I can buy a 223' roll of .105 X Line for 15 bucks. It's cheaper per foot than the Ugly Line here and cuts faster.And is just as tough.
Sorry The XLine is cheaper than Husqvarna XP Force line the Ugly Line is around the same price as the XLine. My father in law uses the XP line. I'm not Stihl biased I own Husqvarna products to.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the twisted blue silent (and sharp!) Dolmar line the most!
I am on my last roll of 2.7mm diameter (outer edges) and have to look into purchasing a spare new roll on time.

I have tried various brands and shapes.
The dullest are the round ones, but they are the most durable.
Triangle, square and star shaped are good average performers.
The highest cutting performance sports the twisted square line from Dolmar that I use. I started at 1.8mm thickness and just worked my way up to the current 2.7mm that I am using. The 2.4mm was nice too, but the more thinner ones break too easy when encountering saplings.

The thinnest line I use by now is 2.4mm square.

I have a generic Chinese built supermarket trimmer that claims 1.5kW and it is driving my custom made 4 string head loaded with 2x2.5meters of Dolmar twisted line something fierce!

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do around a farmstead. Board fence,hi tensile,stone barn foundation ,farm equipment,ornamentals you name it. 105 round. The fancy stuff gets ate up to fast. Now if I can just find that bran new roll...WP_20160522_001.jpg

For long long runs,
WP_20160516_006.jpg

Hedgetrimmer head. Doesn't grass wrap and handles the woody stuff. Doesn't give a residential finish.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have 4 or 5 weed wackers that run in the shed .Several more that did at one time or another .Three have string and two run nylon blades with Stihl blade heads .I can buy like 3 or 4 dozen generic blades which are as good as Stihl for what Stihl wants for 9 .I'm not fond of string .

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I mainly use steel blades, with 3 or 8 knives, for the bulk of trimming in the yard. Then I change from blade to fixed trimmer-head that clamps two .090" strands of nylon stuff. Don't use the nylon stuff that much, so I don't change it much. And ... I don't end up wearing much plant debris. Big +++

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For chain link it's hard to beat the Oregon Gator magnum in the biggest size your trimmer will handle. Up to 1.2hp stick with .095 round , from 1.2-1.5 hp you can try .095 square or .105 round or square. Square has a bit more mass and does hold up a bit better. Also try 1/3-1/2 throttle or so to reduce "eating up" so much line. Sure, desert vortex twisted stuff is quieter, and cuts better in good grass. But it doesn't hold up quite as well for edging on concrete and trimming along chain link. I'd also add that the square line seems to be the fungo bat of trimmer line. It slings more rocks for a line drive then round in my experience. And forget about it cutting better. Sure, it does for a second after a fresh trim of the end on the blade of your guard. But in short order it becomes basically round as soon as you use it some. And since most remove the guard on larger trimmers, the end of the line is basically never cut square anyway, thus negating any square edge cutting potential. So basically it just carries more mass than round.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not a fan of round line. I am not crazy about square. I have tried some twisted and am undecided. My favorite line has been this cheap twisted square line from walmart. It cuts great and has good wear resistance.

mikeypizano

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I buy X Line in a 5 pound spool, and it cuts great but doesn't last the longest. The longest lasting line I have used was Weed Pulverizer from Walmart. Same stuff as Ugly Line but red pretty much. The thing is the X Line is lighter, so a 3LB spool was 750 feet of Weed Pulverizer, and a 5lb spool of X Line is about 1800 feet, so quite a lot more there. Price per foot is actually about the same as well, considering 750ft for 24 bucks and 1800ft for 60.