What to do with dying ash trees?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seek out an arborist who knows about injections and stuff to cure tree diseases.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't know it was 100% confirmed as EAB, but I don't know how many diseases there are for Ash.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think they water enough…might that be all it is?

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The EAB really messed up the White Ash in my area. I've been heating my homes with it for going on. 15 years or better. I have one mature tree that's holding on, but looks rough, along with lots of saplings that get so big then die off.

I pray we can repopulate in the future, because it really is some nice wood.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No hope
Drop it if it's the ash boring beetles.
I've cut several hundred for the neighbors.
Forgive my ignorance but how do you take them down vs taking down a healthy tree? I have several to remove this fall that have been killed by the EAB. Can’t help thinking they will be more difficult/dangerous to get on the ground without getting hurt/ killed. I’ve removed healthy ash & had success with bore cutting to reduce barber chair. I imagine a good hard hat for dead falling limbs? That probably my biggest concern as I assess the trees. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.:)

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you know they are dying? When did you take the picture? We have green ash here, and they are the first tree to lose their leaves. At the beginning of September every year, they start losing their leaves. Right now, not a single leaf on them.
P1020178.JPG
I may be way off here, but I hate to see anyone lose nice shade trees, unless they are sure.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the ash in our neck of the woods have been killed by the ash borer. If they have infested, it’s a goner. I’m sawing a bunch for my dad right now.
D161D579-53AA-453E-8AD4-E2D77ED0EAF4.jpeg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
View attachment 310859 Trim off the dead stuff and cross fingers?

It’s hard to tell from just a picture but it looks like a classic case of eab dieback to me. You can climb it and confirm you will notice lots of little D shaped holes about twice the size of a brad nailhead. Disease wise I cannot think of anything that would affect both trees in such a manner.

there are injectable treatments for the trees but they can be costly and would pretty much need to be carried out on an annual to biannual basis for the foreseeable future. I’d probably recommend cutting the trees down. Alternatively they could start injections on the trees while they get another tree established and then cut them down. When is the best time to plant a tree? …. 20 years ago! When’s the second best time to plant a tree? …. Today.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance but how do you take them down vs taking down a healthy tree? I have several to remove this fall that have been killed by the EAB. Can’t help thinking they will be more difficult/dangerous to get on the ground without getting hurt/ killed. I’ve removed healthy ash & had success with bore cutting to reduce barber chair. I imagine a good hard hat for dead falling limbs? That probably my biggest concern as I assess the trees. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.:)
Mine here are very rotten and have been dead 6+ year's
Very dangerous I don't recommend anyone unfamiliar with how they
Fall cutting them.
Everyone cuts differently
Personally I use a shallow face cut
And a long horizontal back cut
To the hinge
So to let them fall as gently as possible
The one's I put a conventional face
Cut on seemed
To jolt the tree and cause the upper
Limbs if not
The entire top half of the tree to snap off
They are not to be underestimated.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

https://opeforum.com/threads/how-much-more-hinge-wood-for-dead-trees.24875/#post-1281575

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like I need to get up in there.
The neighbors would just as soon have them gone I think, they drop leaves in the AC, but they shade my yard.
@stretch5881 I just took the pic. They have been getting gradually worse for a year, maybe more. We tried watering them and they threw out hose back into our yard.
So maybe water right at the property line and see if that helps. The stump with the potted plant is mine. That pine and one on the other side by the driveway got beetles and I think I’ve saved the other one but not that one. The ashes are in these threads:

https://opeforum.com/threads/please-help-me-save-my-pine-bugs.21068/

https://opeforum.com/threads/still-...e-takedown-in-my-yard-mmws-dolmar-6100.19763/

I don’t think they are losing their leaves due to Fal. It’s still hot. The lower parts of the trees are still lush.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
61AA3139-C745-4630-9E96-93441C8F3E67.jpeg FA7D7DDB-607D-4F89-9716-BAB161A70B4E.jpeg My buddy who lets me borrow the lift that actually does know a thing or two about trees said we do have ash borers (dunno which) and that is likely it. I'll have to get up there and check.

Forecast: sunny and 91* with showers of firewood.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s bugs, there’s no easy or cost effective way to save the trees. I undertook a project back in 2014 where I removed nearly all the ash trees from one 600 and another 400 acre property where the owner noticed one EAB and promptly took the nuclear option to try to avoid spread. It is what it is, sadly.