Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They work, how well I think depends on what you are trying to do with it. I use mine to compliment an Alaskan Mill. So what I would do is take the first slab off with the Alaskan, then use the one like you posted to take the edges off each side. This was easy because of the flat spot to attach the board(guide) that the Alaskan had made. Then returning to the Alaskan, would be making boards with every subsequent cut right to the bottom, without having ever moved the log.
To mill alone with this, it needs to be attached to the log so as it is hanging over on one side with nothing under it to support it, a bit difficult but can be done. If I were going to do it that way I would consider modifying the track/board to an L shape of sorts so to sit on the edge of the log a bit better.
I also would blind rip with it, after making a three sided cant, took and ran it through part way down but not all the way through so as when returning to the Alaskan make two or three smaller boards with one cut.
Biggest bar I used was a 24", it seemed to work well on the bigger logs, was a hindrance on the smaller ones as then it stuck up too high in the air. Which also made you real conscious of which way the wind was blowing, definitely did not want it to be in your face. Not sure how much bigger you could go.
Also when cutting I really had to relax the hand I had on the saw handle holding the trigger down so as not to torque the saw from cutting square. Best to just push on the jig and let the saw do its thing.
Biggest logs I cut were about thirty inches in diameter. Some I could not edge clear through, had to go back in and follow the cut free hand afterwards.
I would tend to say for most folks that if you get this and get the "bug" cutting, more than likely more equipment will follow to make things faster and smoother. Basically it could be likened to the gateway drug for milling. If say you're just looking to, oh lets say cut a mantle for yourself for example, this would be all you need.

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
2:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Spend abit more and get a logosol timber jig

images

Be far more versatile, for not a huge amount more.