Dan23

OPE Member
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,

Any ideas on what this wood is? I'm in the South Island of New Zealand. Was pretty sure it was macrocarpa but my neighbor thinks it might be gum. Has been down for about 5 years. Using my Husqvarna 450 to slice it up!

20210419_164143-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry I can't open the image . Can you reformat it for us

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see the pic and looking at the growth rings and the bark it is like no gum I've ever seen I'm in Victoria in Australia looks to be a softwood type of tree

Dan23

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see the pic and looking at the growth rings and the bark it is like no gum I've ever seen I'm in Victoria in Australia looks to be a softwood type of tree
Ok, good to know, thanks. It's a lot heavier than pine when both are wet, but dries out to be very light. Splits really nicely as well. Nowhere near as fibrous as other gum I've cut and split. I just found this image online (https://pankhurstsawmilling.co.nz/macrocarpa/) which looks a lot like what I've been working with. Pretty sure it is macro.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and @Dan23 don't get to reading too much on this site or you might find out that there is no way you can cut rounds that size with a 450 and that all your work is imaginary...

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, good to know, thanks. It's a lot heavier than pine when both are wet, but dries out to be very light. Splits really nicely as well. Nowhere near as fibrous as other gum I've cut and split. I just found this image online (https://pankhurstsawmilling.co.nz/macrocarpa/) which looks a lot like what I've been working with. Pretty sure it is macro.
I don't think I could definitively pass judgment on what it is without seeing some bark, and as it looks like it has rotted off long ago (as well as the sap wood heading that way as well) I don't think I can really help. Macrocarpa has a very distinctive smell - a bit like turps, and I'd imagine even if it's been down for a long time it will still have that smell lingering.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and @Dan23 don't get to reading too much on this site or you might find out that there is no way you can cut rounds that size with a 450 and that all your work is imaginary...

I know I couldn't (cut rounds that size with a 450); no way in hell, LOL