High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What I mean when I say figured timber

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Been pretty sick lately, so been browsing more than usual. Came across this site.

http://australianburls.com/AustralianBurls/Aussie_Hardwoods/Aussie_Hardwoods.htm

The Birdseye sheoak pieces here were originally milled by me (still have some left). Abit sad to see the two biggest slabs had been broken up (had visions of a butterflied natural edge table).

Needless to say, I didn't get remotely the prices the end seller asked and got.

Birdseye like this is rare on a monumental scale, must confess makes me feel abit proud.

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That is some beautiful wood, and great work milling it!

Are sheoaks common trees, and the figured nature is what sets these apart from other pieces, and how large of a tree/slabs did it produce before being resawn?

Thanks for posting, I had never heard of that species before.

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That is some beautiful wood, and great work milling it!

Are sheoaks common trees, and the figured nature is what sets these apart from other pieces, and how large of a tree/slabs did it produce before being resawn?

Thanks for posting, I had never heard of that species before.

This link will give you a basic run down on west Australian sheoak.

http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/node/1001

It is incorrect on the size though (both in diameter and height - 15m = ~ 50 feet). It does get larger, but who want to argue with college/university degree holders.

The shape of the tree is very random though. Get a book, open it holding both covers. Any shape you can make a sheoak will and can grow in. It has a reputation for splitting badly, mostly because people don't know how to mill it.

Now I want to clarify, birdseye sheoak isn't a sperate species. It is as far as I know an extremely rare and random growth pattern, like a burl (though it's not a fissure in the tree like a burl is) that can occur in a lot of varieties (heck maybe ever tree species). For example birdseye maple is still maple.

Anyway these slabs were around 6 foot from memory. 6 foot of straight sheoak is a large slab, milled over 12ft only a could of times. Tree will fork, then you need to mill again above fork etc

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is amazing timber mate.
Makes me excited about getting into a bit of milling.

Finding the timber is the tough bit