What do you guys mill on?

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone mill on horses or a platform?

When I'm in the woods I just mill on the ground with my Granberg, but when I can get to the logs I thought horses would be great to get the work up higher. I built these babies out of some leftover 2x6's I had from a house project. Where I work we get a lot of heavy castings delivered on solid deck pallets that are all hardwood. I use them mostly for stacking firewood on, but I lay them down along my horses when milling and just sweep the sawdust off occasionally. It helps me keep more sawdust good and keeps the ground in better shape.

Post up the pics your setups!Milling Horses.jpg

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice sawhorses! They look beefy!

When I'm in the woods, I usually just use a couple of rounds or branches from the tree I'm working on. Back at the house, I've got a couple of large impossible-to-split stump rounds. My wood processing area is in my driveway in front of the garage - so I just try to keep the discharge on the driveway side. Then a few times a year, I shovel up all the sawdust into my trailer and use it to fill in low spots on my trails.

20160807_141441.jpg IMG_4159.JPG

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll be curious to see how they hold up in time. Working in the woods is sometimes a pain. I try to cut as much deadfall and blow down stuff as possible, and it always seems to get me for the last few slabs. Usually end up wrestling it up onto a few pieces like you do.

Those are some nice looking beams in your second shot, you do nice work. I love having the extra sawdust for my gardens.

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's really surprising how much of a difference a slight slope makes. The first couple times I milled I was on flat ground. What a difference in the woods on a hill. Only bad part is that slab wants to run like it stole something once you break through with too much slope.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk