Weld on to make a Axearoon

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a hookaroon/pickaroon, but would like to weld on a 3 to 4 inch point on the back of my axe. Axearoon?

I have plenty of mild steel blanks and I can make the point with. It would be a lot of work though.

Will the mild steel weld up to the back flat end of my old trusty axe?

I'll put a bead on my axe later to day, but just wondering if anybody has attempted this modification to an old axe.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't weld to an old axe head, but I did make my own hookaroon with 1/4"x2" flat stock and a sharpened Gr5 bolt:

FWIW.

That's the idea. I had to work on a neighbors mower today, will attempt to do some welding on an old hatchet tomorrow.

Reactions: Lnk

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually ax head steel is rather mild.
The blade gets its hardness through smithing and quenching but the eye stays soft.
I think welding on another piece of steel to the back of the head won't be a problem.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just give it a good cleaning with a grinder to get the hard steel off the head before welding.
Pre heat the steel before welding and let cool slow. Don't quench it.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a double bit with a damaged bit and turn that side into an axeroon that way you have a reversible handle.
I tried a double bit turned axeroon about 30-40yrs ago and found it heavy to flick around like a pickaroon.

I tried welding a piece of 2X3 1/4" flat steel on a pickaroon to a make chopping edge and found it to light to be of much use for chopping along with the curved handle being the wrong sweep for chopping.

Both were used in a cut and bunch logging operation with pulpwood production in mind.

YMMV good luck.

Last edited:

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running a weld bead on the axe is good. I've just about figured out how I want the hook and the strengthening braces to look and how to make them.

damifino

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a hookaroon/pickaroon, but would like to weld on a 3 to 4 inch point on the back of my axe. Axearoon?
I like the way you think! Give it a try and if you don't like it cut/grind it off and you have your axe back.

OnlyStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not pretty but done. No pictures -- too ugly.

I usually weld with 6013, but those rods are getting used up, so decided to use some 3/32 6011. Easy to start an arc, but burned fast. Holding a consistent arc length and adjusting my travel speed was a challenge (6011), so the weld is lumpy.

Also welding some small triangle pieces to give it all more strength complicated the nice welds I aim for. Oh, well. I'll see how it all works out next time I go firewood cutting, if the heat ever abates. Bloody hot out, all this week.

Last edited: