weed wackers

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
some time ago I asked on one of the forums how I should tune the high side on weed wackers. I was told to basically tune it to as fast as it would go.
been wondering since then - why do you tune a chainsaw until it four strokes and cleans up in the cut while you tune weed wackers til they can't go any faster?
i suspect it has to do with the load on the engine but don't really know. anyone got answers?

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The engine doesn't know what its mounted on. Tune it like a saw. Test it under load.
You can tune it like a saw if you run it with no string but it you tune it to four stroke with full length of string it will be too rich

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tune them just a hair rich unloaded and they clean up under load. I don't get obsessive about them, but they all come to me so dog gone lean, I throw the fuel to them.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is set way too rich currently but thats the way ive heard it explained, that with full length of string, thats enough load to just tune it so it quits four stoking. Im not sure about tuning it "as fast as it can go" though.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to muffler mod about 90% of them that I've repaired. Damn things are so corked up you can feel the power loss. Old Echos are my favorite. Loud and tourqey.