Walnut log

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before I turn this into firewood anyone have an idea if it is worth anything.
It has a lot of sapwood. The heartwood is approx. 10 inches in dia @ the narrow end & the outside dia at
narrow end is approx. 16 inches. It is a 10 feet long and pretty straight.
I am in southeastern PA.
log-1.JPG
log-2.JPG

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All walnut is worth something, as for whether or not it is worth the hassle and trip of getting it to the mill is another story. Unfortunately hard to tell from pictures what sort of visible defects it might have, beyond the obvious it is a yard tree and a lot of mills won't mess with them. There's a couple spots in the bark that from the picture look like it won't make vernier grade to my mostly untrained eyes. I try to ask as many questions of the grader when I'm lucky enough to be on a trip to our local mill to drop off logs though. They will take pretty much any walnut as they are one of the top exporters in the country. Mountains of walnut and ash. Don't know what the current geopolitical public health situation has done to the market, but I can't imagine the amount of shipping containers full of logs are rolling out of there to china like they usually do.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before I turn this into firewood anyone have an idea if it is worth anything.
It has a lot of sapwood. The heartwood is approx. 10 inches in dia @ the narrow end & the outside dia at
narrow end is approx. 16 inches. It is a 10 feet long and pretty straight.
I am in southeastern PA.
View attachment 233787
View attachment 233788
I have a Gettysburg address, where are you in Pa?

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Gettysburg address, where are you in Pa?
Thanks for the reply. Sorry. I am actually in south central PA. I don't know of any mills that are close to where I am at. You are correct about the hassle of getting the log to a mill. I have trailer and a neighbor with a tractor with a front end loader that we could probably get it loaded. But is it really worth it. I burn wood & although walnut is not the best it does produce btu's. I do have other walnut rees here on my property but I don't think the majority of them are worth much of anything. This particular log is from one of the better trees.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reason I asked, I have a chainsaw mill. One log like that won’t be worth your hassle I’d imagine. And walnut isn’t great firewood. Makes great slabs/boards though.
So is it really worth fooling with for me to bring this to you? I have no use for the boards I would get out of it. I really hate turning it into firewood. I built my cabinets out of walnut many years ago & I know how pretty the wood is. I also have other walnut trees here on my property but I know some of them are not worth more than firewood. Just want to eliminate them as they make a heck of a mess when they start shedding.