Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it looks like you have plenty of parts. Dot dot dot

Can't say I have ever heard of/seen one of those even mentioned before.

Subscribed

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You spelled Husqvarna wrong

also if there are no independent tests done on those saws they don't cut wood. Read it on the interwebs.

looking forward to learning more about these saws. You think you can make one take a 7900?

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here’s the reason I chose to build a Shindaiwa.

Growing up, we had a small firewood business. As far back as I can remember, I was tagging along with my dad back to the woods. He had a nice landing beneath towering hickory and beech trees, and would skid the logs with a small Case Dozer. Once his skids were full, he’d buck everything to length in the shade, or sun, depending on the season. Seems it was rather well thought.

We pulled our homemade wood trailer, splitter in tow, back to the landing with an International 460. I rode on the trailer with the dog and our equipment. I’m sure I started out as more of a nuisance and concern than any form of helper – my dad on high alert of my whereabouts and working slower than desired because of it. He’d saw and split around 2 cords and then we’d head home. As the years went by, the routine basically stayed the same, but I was growing big enough to start helping. I started out stacking on the trailer. I would stack the perimeter, and my dad would pitch splits into the middle. When my dad was confident my attention span was sufficient to not amputate his fingers, I started running the splitter lever. His productivity increased. So much so, I am convinced, it offset the time I cost him when I was younger. I would stack the perimeter of the trailer while my dad loaded another round on the splitter.

We’d head home when we were full. My favorite was when the path was muddy in the woods – either from fall rain or spring thaw – and we had to carry enough momentum through the bad spots to avoid getting stuck; tires throwing football sized hunks of clay like Joe Montana.

Over the years, we upgraded to a Massey 265 tractor. The splitter got several new engines. Yet my dad never upgraded saws. He ran a pair of Shindaiwas – a 550 with an 18” bar, and a 350 with 14” bar. He put countless hours on those saws with nary a problem; routine maintenance and care was all that was required to keep those saws in top shape.

When I bought my house, he sent the 350 with me. It finally needed an oil pump drive gear, another new bar, and another new chain. He upgraded to a 360. He is a meticulous researcher, so his choice of equipment speaks to his character and values.

Shindaiwa saws kept food in my belly, clothes on my back and a roof over my head. Shindaiwa saws continue to provide warmth and yuletide memories for my family as I still cut most of my firewood, and our annual Christmas tree with these great machines. So, this Christmas gift will be personal.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my uncle had a 575 and said it was a good saw and plenty of power id like to find one sometime and do one for him

Four Paws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to sort though the saws pictured in my first post and hand pick the best components for this build.

This saw will get a COMPLETE rebuild. Should last a hard core firewood tick a decade or better.

Four Paws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A brief history lesson if anyone is interested.

The 550 debuted in 1984 if I remember correctly. It was light and strong. 45mm bore and 36mm stroke. Shindaiwa's first vertical cylinder production saw.

The 680 was the 550's big brother. Basically an identical twin, running a 49mm top end and larger carburetor on the same case, crank and components as the 550. It was a very light (for 68cc) and sporty saw, on the market years before the 044 was released. I would put a 680 up against a good running 044 any day of the week.

The power of the 680 coupled with the lightweight platform left little margin for abuse. Without excellent maintenance, they experienced failures.

As a result, Shindaiwa released the 575/695. The physical appearance of the saws remained basically unchanged from the 550/680, however many refinements and upgrades were incorporated. The cases were strengthened with gussets and thicker castings in critical areas, as was the side cover. The muffler was redesigned and furnace brazed, making it incredibly robust. The plastics and air filtration were improved. The 695 got a larger crank and redesigned piston.

These models continued through the 90's until the 577 was released, replacing the 575. The 695 was retired and the 757 became the big saw in the line-up. I believe the 577 and 757 are still sold in some international markets.

The 575 is a saw from Shindaiwa's heyday. It embodies everything I enjoy about the brand.