High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Vice grip-who makes the best ones now?

Ajkeiser2000

New OPE Member
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a bunch of old US made Irwin vice grips that work great. I handled a new Chinese made pair on a job and it was junk. After checking online, it looks like no one makes them in the US anymore (I guess Klein did briefly).

What's the best new brand y'all have used? I'm curious if anyone has used those Spanish-made Proto ones.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am fortunate I inherited some nice old ones. Following along to see what might be out there should I need another set some day and don't find some gems at a garage sale in the meantime...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GripOn are popular new ones. But I like the old Peterson vice grips. Many think the Milwaukee ones are 'ok' for they money. There is a lot of cheap junk out there though.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found out Irwin acquired vise grip .Some times it's hard to tell the players without a score card .I got a shocker maybe 25 years ago .I bought a Klein hawk bill skinning knife that said "Klein Tools Chicago " on one side and made in Japan on the other side .That one sat a long time in one of my tool boxes .To say I was pizzed would be an under statement .

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
irwin vise grip i think are the closest you are going to get to an original these days... my dad has some old master mechanic brand ones that are almost identical to the original vise grip...those are the closest match i have seen

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a huge carpenters style metal tool box full of sheet metal tools with a lot of Malco stuff. Danged thing is so heavy I have a hard time lifting it .
When I bought this place it had ceiling radiant heat ,no duct work .I made all the main lines ,hand bent ,hand seamed .Just like they did in about 1940 .26 sheets of 24 gauge sheet metal and most of one summer to do .
I had installed ready made stuff as a teenager working for a plumbing shop but never actually made any . Just bought a book on the subject and the tools I needed and got-er-done .I actually wore the cutters out on a Milwaukie power shears .Replacements, flea bay 1/3 the price of what Milwaukie wanted .Internet, love it .

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some Milwaukees that I think are perfectly adequate. I bought a bunch of Chinese Irwins when Ace was selling them dirt cheap (like 5 or 6 bucks each) and the red ones are far superior. I haven't yet tried any Grip Ons or their rebrands (Proto and Snap On) or any of the German brands.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Crescent is making Wiss snips now as well. I have used the Milwaukee vise grips and they are decent. Nothing is as good as it used to be!

Last edited:

woodtool89

Randalls favorite member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Irwin is making Wiss snips now as well
Bxl2IFI.gif

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 sizes of Grip-on needle nose locking pliers that I use at work, and the jaws are pretty strong for needle nose. I have a Vise-Grip pair as well and the jaws flex a little more on them.