Vallorbe double bevel file

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know where to buy one of these? The double bevel file I have is worn out, and from what I’ve read, the Vallorbe double bevel is the best.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long did your last and what were the filing conditions?

I could not wear one out in a single season.

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long did your last and what were the filing conditions?

I could not wear one out in a single season.
I have a Bahco double bevel, and I just started sharpening square ground. I’ve done 4 chains so far, two of them started out as round ground chains. I think in the beginning I was pushing way to hard trying to get the shape right. Anyways the bevel on one side of the file feels dull because I can’t make any changes to the side plate angle with it.

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Bahco double bevel, and I just started sharpening square ground. I’ve done 4 chains so far, two of them started out as round ground chains. I think in the beginning I was pushing way to hard trying to get the shape right. Anyways the bevel on one side of the file feels dull because I can’t make any changes to the side plate angle with it.
Throw up some pics of the cutters ,

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Triangle files are usually available through stihl and are quite a bit cheaper. Single bevel is ok but they are known to flex a little bit since they are thinner

I’ll be damned! You’re right, a single bit is more flexible. I will say when I was starting out a single bevel was a bit easier for me to keep my corner lined up than a double bevel. Others mileage may vary but that was my experience with a single bevel. The triangle is very flexible and I’ve yet to master that one.

Attachments

• 1B9245C5-58A2-4F09-987C-B987F303ACFE.jpeg
    1B9245C5-58A2-4F09-987C-B987F303ACFE.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 62

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throw up some pics of the cutters ,
I can usually nail the top corner pretty easily, but I struggle getting the “bottom corner” of that line straight through the crease of the cutter. Also it’s hard to judge side plate angle while filing, lots of stopping to check and then filing some more. Any tips are most welcome.

Attachments

• 6FA6EB3E-CD93-4F99-BD30-8BC6A6B82F81.jpeg
    6FA6EB3E-CD93-4F99-BD30-8BC6A6B82F81.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 47
  • D023908A-EEF8-482C-87AF-B4E7130028CF.jpeg
    D023908A-EEF8-482C-87AF-B4E7130028CF.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 6EB46152-BE16-4CEC-A3F0-137C203D046D.jpeg
    6EB46152-BE16-4CEC-A3F0-137C203D046D.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 51

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can usually nail the top corner pretty easily, but I struggle getting the “bottom corner” of that line straight through the crease of the cutter. Also it’s hard to judge side plate angle while filing, lots of stopping to check and then filing some more. Any tips are most welcome.
Your cutters look ok and you have the right idea. It’s hard to make both corners line up with a file and still produce a chain for firewooding rather than racing as the chassis gets in the way as you file more downward.

I wouldn’t worry about the top plate angle. The file shape isn’t adjustable so you can only make 2 of the 3 angles how you want them. Get your down angle where you want so the cutter is durable, and get the side plate angle where you want it (between 0 and 5° forward lean or so) so that the chain self-feeds with .025” rakers. (More forward lean makes them more aggressive). And your top plate angle will end up where it ends up. Usually between 15 and 20°.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I struggled in the beginning and had my angles all wonky donky, I went back to round filing first. I had to understand the relationship between my hands, file, and what I tried to achieve. Once my hands and filing stabilized, went back to square. It still was not perfect, repetition made it better each time.

Filing is like writing, try out different techniques and stay with what works best for you. Everyone holds the pen a little differently, everyone writes differently, end goal is the same.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I struggled in the beginning and had my angles all wonky donky, I went back to round filing first. I had to understand the relationship between my hands, file, and what I tried to achieve. Once my hands and filing stabilized, went back to square. It still was not perfect, repetition made it better each time.

Filing is like writing, try out different techniques and stay with what works best for you. Everyone holds the pen a little differently, everyone writes differently, end goal is the same.
Yep , Just becomes a repetitive motion, as you go,

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your cutters look ok and you have the right idea. It’s hard to make both corners line up with a file and still produce a chain for firewooding rather than racing as the chassis gets in the way as you file more downward.

I wouldn’t worry about the top plate angle. The file shape isn’t adjustable so you can only make 2 of the 3 angles how you want them. Get your down angle where you want so the cutter is durable, and get the side plate angle where you want it (between 0 and 5° forward lean or so) so that the chain self-feeds with .025” rakers. (More forward lean makes them more aggressive). And your top plate angle will end up where it ends up. Usually between 15 and 20°.
Thanks for the advice, it’s taken me a lot of experimenting and getting it wrong. Do you prefer to file down into the tooth from the top, or up from the bottom? I’ve tried both and it feels more natural filing from the bottom, just because I’ve round filed for so long.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, it’s taken me a lot of experimenting and getting it wrong. Do you prefer to file down into the tooth from the top, or up from the bottom? I’ve tried both and it feels more natural filing from the bottom, just because I’ve round filed for so long.
Most do it from the top down so you can see the corner. And there’s not much of a chance of leaving a burr that way. But going inside out is easier on the file because you’re not hammering it into the sharp corner all the time

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I gave up on it the first try too, but now I’m more determined to practice. It’s hard to identify what corrections to make after inspecting the tooth. I’ve tried adjusting one angle at a time to reach my desired shape, but it never pans out exactly like I want it to. First I want to be able to make one tooth “perfect”, then work on doing that every time to every tooth.

TooLegit2Quit

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most do it from the top down so you can see the corner. And there’s not much of a chance of leaving a burr that way. But going inside out is easier on the file because you’re not hammering it into the sharp corner all the time
Is creating a burr bad? I usually like seeing the burr form. I’ll break it off, then do a couple really light swipes to try to get a clean edge.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is creating a burr bad? I usually like seeing the burr form. I’ll break it off, then do a couple really light swipes to try to get a clean edge.
It’s not ideal. If the burr hangs onto the outside, it’s leaving a small surface that isn’t sharp. It’s trivial for cutting firewood but not to a racer