Unbalanced Blades

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a John Deere mower I recently repaired, I happened to touch up the blades, and noticed one of the two blades was way out of balance. Just grinding off a bit of extra metal on the heavy side would not fix it. I just let it go, as it was not the reason the mower was in the shop. Would drilling small holes on the heavy end, at a non critical area do. Or putting some weld, adding weight, on the light side work, to bring it back in balance? What do the experts do to balance a blade that is way off?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d first want to know if you scraped off the stuck grass and dirt from the entire blade.

I usually find blades that much off balance took a hit from some hard or immovable object, and need to be replaced. If there is no impact, no visible reason for the outta balance issue, and a little more grinding of the edge on the heavy side doesn’t seem to work, I replace it, better to be safe, it’s a customer that expects the professional to keep the machine up to snuff

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the stuck grass was scraped off. It's not that terrible out of balance now, after much grinding, but still not as good as I would of liked. I am just curious to know what the professionals do when they run into this situation?