Uglies season

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘It’s the season to burn up all the uglies and irregulars in the wood pile. Tight packed fire boxes aren’t a necessity with the warm daytime temps. Anybody else use this as an opportunity to burn the cull pieces that you’ve tossed about, never yet getting them into the house to burn? It’s my first full year of real hearing with wood and this feels like a rite of passage of sorts. Oh, by the way, it’s forecasted to be in the teens tomorrow night here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use em throughout the season, all my wood is not perfect or exact lengths so there’s usually a corner somewhere in the boiler that they fit.

There was only a short time of really cold weather this year anyway. Was pretty mild, I rarely packed the stove tight anyway

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had 5 saws on Sat that I needed to adjust and do some comparrison cuts. Ended up with maybe 30-40 cookies. Half of them already went up the chimney.

I'll burn these along with the chunks and stuff anytime. Can't stack this junk and don't like having them around. And they'll build up if I don't stay on it.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the uglies on really cold nights. Usually my uglies are a really big y that I didn’t try to split or a really big knot. That dense wood burns a long time.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the uglies on really cold nights. Usually my uglies are a really big, some that I didn’t try to split or a really big knot. That dense wood burns a long time.
So do I. I'm burning a bunch of them tomorrow. I love all them stubs and beaver tails. Whenever short cut offs show up, I split them down and save them as short uglies that don't stack well, so I throw them into a bin

LOML loves to throw them into the stove when she fires it back up. So do I. Rather amazing how well these uglies keep the fire burning hot. Dahmer, me, and lots of others are on the same page here. Small chunks make good heat.
:beer-toast1: