High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

TYM and Mahindra Tractors...Got a John Deere Instead!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
5:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have any hands on/owner experience with TYM or Mahindra tractors? I’m shopping for a compact 4x4 but I want it to be the size of a Kubota L-series. I’ve read good things about them on the web but you know how that goes. Thanks gents.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Mahindra 4530, 45hp 4wd with FEL. I've had it a few years now. No issues but I only put around 100 hrs a year on it. I have a friend with the same tractor. He's had his for 7 or 8 years. He hasn't had any problems either.
I had a 2615 before I got the 4530. Great little tractor, built by Mitsubishi.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Mahindra 4530, 45hp 4wd with FEL. I've had it a few years now. No issues but I only put around 100 hrs a year on it. I have a friend with the same tractor. He's had his for 7 or 8 years. He hasn't had any problems either.
I had a 2615 before I got the 4530. Great little tractor, built by Mitsubishi.
Thanks for sharing. I wish I could’ve gotten one when they were cheaper. They’re pretty close to Kubota in price now. I’m looking for a used but well cared for machine, budget is $12k so pickins are slim.

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No direct experience with TYM.
I shopped hard for a 25-40 hp compact tractor about 2 yrs ago and spent a lot of time testing out Kubotas and Mahindras and a couple smaller brands. I fell into a great used 2001 Kubota L3901. It is really sweet. It has a 4 cyl. pre-EPA engine and all the upgrades of the "Grand L." These days, the new standard L2601, 3301 and 3901 are definitely more of a stripped down "price point" economy tractor. On the other hand, Mahnidras have always been very much "economy" tractors but have been getting more expensive. FWIW, Mahindra only makes the engines and puts them into TYM or Mitsubishi bodies. The Mitsubishi ones are nicer and more expensive. I know this doesn't help clarify things much, but good luck. There's a whole lot of very good choices for compact tractors, new and used.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No direct experience with TYM.
I shopped hard for a 25-40 hp compact tractor about 2 yrs ago and spent a lot of time testing out Kubotas and Mahindras and a couple smaller brands. I fell into a great used 2001 Kubota L3901. It is really sweet. It has a 4 cyl. pre-EPA engine and all the upgrades of the "Grand L." These days, the new standard L2601, 3301 and 3901 are definitely more of a stripped down "price point" economy tractor. On the other hand, Mahnidras have always been very much "economy" tractors but have been getting more expensive. FWIW, Mahindra only makes the engines and puts them into TYM or Mitsubishi bodies. The Mitsubishi ones are nicer and more expensive. I know this doesn't help clarify things much, but good luck. There's a whole lot of very good choices for compact tractors, new and used.
That’s helps plenty my friend. I’ll soak up all the info I can get. Sounds like you went through the same thing I’m going through as far as finding the right machine. AND you found one that I would want too. Lol!

Kioti appears to be a viable option too, I like how heavy they are. I want all the weight I can get for hauling logs out of my rocky/muddy woods

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And yeah I want a tractor with no emissions junk on it. John Deere Eseries got my attention until I found out the differential housing was aluminum. No thanks on that

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To the best of my understanding the YTM tractors are grey market Yanmars brought up to US safety regs. If that is in fact the case they are the best in my opinion. I've had 3 grey market yanmars. Very tough. And parts aren't hard to get. Just have to know where to look. My neighbor bought the Kubota grey market but I don't think it's that great a machine. Kinda cheaply redone. Came from local dealer that has the YTM, Kubota, and something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend has a bigger Mahindra and has two engines put in it under warranty. It was common in that particular series. It was a 65-70 HP tractor. We have two older Kubota B7800s at work. They are great machines. Small, 30 HP 4 cylinder engines, 4wd, FELs. If you could find one of those, you would have it made.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend has a bigger Mahindra and has two engines put in it under warranty. It was common in that particular series. It was a 65-70 HP tractor. We have two older Kubota B7800s at work. They are great machines. Small, 30 HP 4 cylinder engines, 4wd, FELs. If you could find one of those, you would have it made.
The B series are nice but I want more weight for traction.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To the best of my understanding the YTM tractors are grey market Yanmars brought up to US safety regs. If that is in fact the case they are the best in my opinion. I've had 3 grey market yanmars. Very tough. And parts aren't hard to get. Just have to know where to look. My neighbor bought the Kubota grey market but I don't think it's that great a machine. Kinda cheaply redone. Came from local dealer that has the YTM, Kubota, and something else.

Grey market means that a particular model wasn't ever meant to be sold in the US. Depending on the model and manufacturer, that can mean different things. Sometimes they're lacking safety features, sometimes they're just plain impossible to get parts for.

TYM is a Korean brand that makes good tractors. Like LS and Kioti, they've all made tractors for other OEMs. TYM made the Cabela's tractors, LS makes the small New Holland machines, and the Bobcat tractors were Kioti. These brands aren't grey market, although you do occasionally see a grey market tractor made by one of them that ended up over here.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a new yanmar '15 model is 48hp hydro lx4900 I filled the tires with fluid and it is Def a hoss. Another thing I really like is the skid loader quick detach on the front end loader. Bc I can use any skid steer attachment. I added front auxiliary hydraulics and now use everything from a grapple and tree shear to a post hole digger on mine. I agree on the Mahindra. Not bad for the money but had to repair an engine block on a friends Bc the mount for the front end attached to the block and it broke the bosses off the block. Had to weld it all up just to move it. Ymmv.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The B series are nice but I want more weight for traction.

Joe, or is it John, or Jason (I know it starts with J, but that's all I got), I spend a fair amount of time over on Tractorbynet. I don't say this with a lot of pride exactly, but I'm sorta up to date on the current and previous generation of Kubotas, Kiotis, with a little knowledge of the other brands, and I've helped a few of my friends buy tractors over the last couple years. I'd love to chat with you if you want. Probably a phone call would be the best way to pass on as much as possible without taking all weekend. PM me if you want to give me a ring.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe, or is it John, or Jason (I know it starts with J, but that's all I got), I spend a fair amount of time over on Tractorbynet. I don't say this with a lot of pride exactly, but I'm sorta up to date on the current and previous generation of Kubotas, Kiotis, with a little knowledge of the other brands, and I've helped a few of my friends buy tractors over the last couple years. I'd love to chat with you if you want. Probably a phone call would be the best way to pass on as much as possible without taking all weekend. PM me if you want to give me a ring.
It’s Josh...lol! I really appreciate that Ryan, PM inbound.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a new yanmar '15 model is 48hp hydro lx4900 I filled the tires with fluid and it is Def a hoss. Another thing I really like is the skid loader quick detach on the front end loader. Bc I can use any skid steer attachment. I added front auxiliary hydraulics and now use everything from a grapple and tree shear to a post hole digger on mine. I agree on the Mahindra. Not bad for the money but had to repair an engine block on a friends Bc the mount for the front end attached to the block and it broke the bosses off the block. Had to weld it all up just to move it. Ymmv.

Hopefully what ever I find has the bobcat quick attach bucket. Can’t afford to buy attachments yet, but I like the diversity of options for when the time comes.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@XP_Slinger
Hey JOE...yea I know it's Josh, but I'm sticking with "Joe" since Ryan started it

https://allentown.craigslist.org/grd/d/kioti-dk45se-4x4-loader-hydro/6471790009.html
Just checked out the stats for that on tractordata.com, looks like a win. Heavy with over 2,000 pounds of lift capacity on the 3-point. And here’s where I start seeing that my budget might not get me what I’m looking for, I really don’t want a machine that has 1200 hrs on it. Hmmmmm, maybe it’s time to take the wife out on a date so I get more money. Lol!

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Or make a tradeoff...
I ended up buying an older machine because my budget was small. Deutz-Allis 5230, Non-hydro, 32hp, FEL with a 5' brush hog and 1600 hrs for just under 7k. It will do everything I need. The trees I'm taking off my property are not large enough to justify a larger tractor.

You see this nice JD 790? Maybe too small?
https://ithaca.craigslist.org/grd/d/kubota-l2800-compact-tractor/6452007416.html

Those are nice tractors but the 7xx series are just too small really. Only 8xx lbs lift on the 3 point. The 850 is probably the smallest I would consider. 950 is more ideal if you can find them but they are never cheap.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just checked out the stats for that on tractordata.com, looks like a win. Heavy with over 2,000 pounds of lift capacity on the 3-point. And here’s where I start seeing that my budget might not get me what I’m looking for, I really don’t want a machine that has 1200 hrs on it. Hmmmmm, maybe it’s time to take the wife out on a date so I get more money. Lol!

1200 hours is nothing to worry about at all. That might be a winner right there. Super strong loader, pretty solid machines, lots of satisfied owners on TBN who have pretty well documented most of the common issues.