Two digit M1 Garand in a nearby shop

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nearby shop claims to have M1 Garand serial number 80 in stock for $1500.00 firm. I'm thinking this thing could be worth alot more if it is what they say it is and I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Anything to look for? Any way to quickly tell if it is original or just a Frankenstein shooter grade? Here is the shop's FB post about it:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all good. The poor lady at the shop seemed dumbfounded as I pointed out the seven digit serial number. She said she was just going on what the guy that sold it to them said about it. I really hope she isn't the one doing the 4473's cause they aren't going to have their FFL much longer if so!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
False alarm. Stopped by the shop on the way home and it's a seven digit with import marks. I think the employee who made the FB post is more than a little clueless, to put it nicely.
If it's an original U.S. with import marks and if it's from Denmark it probably has a new Danish barrel on it. I know a guy who picked one up a few years ago and it's a shooter. The muzzle is a .000 and the throat is a .001. If that's the case then $1,500 is a good price. I think the going rate for a rack grade M1 (lowest grade) is close to $1,500.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm really a bolt/lever action kind of guy so if I ever bought a Garand it would be as an investment. I respect and appreciate the history of these rifles, but I've never been in the military so I don't feel the desire to have one. In fact, I wouldn't have much interest in AR's if the dumb politicians didn't constantly try to get rid of them. Anything they are trying to ban must be a helluva lot of fun, right? My BIL is career Army and bought a Garand as a grandpa for his various AR's.

docsimon520

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$1500 for a shooter grade Garand is getting to be cheap. Next year it will look like a steal. Remember, if you overpay for some things, just think of it as buying too early. Eventually every decent gun will become expensive. Even tho millions were made, M1G’s will be stupid money some day- even shooter grade. As long as it functions and isn’t shot out, I’d buy it. A long time ago when I was young and dumb I bought an international harvester Garand that I thought was close to being unfired. It had almost perfect Parkerising, and very few were marks on it, and all the parts that were supposed to be marked international Harvester were, and I forget now what collection of maker parts it was supposed to have but it was all correct. I promptly
And proudly showed it to the good old boys at a local shoot and they laughed their butts off Saying my not new but we’ll used, arsenal refinished gun shouldn’t have cost me more than 400 bucks and I paid 600. according to them it’s been arsenal refinished 4 to 5 times because of the depth of the markings they’ve been worn down or more correctly the surrounding material has been removed so much with the Parkerising and sandblasting that the markings are shallow. No worries; $600 for a corrext IH Garand looks cheap nowadays…